Nursing at Messiah College
Our accredited program, designed to meet the rapidly changing healthcare environment, will help you develop a broad base of scientific knowledge, excellent communication skills, critical thinking and value-based decision-making capabilities.
As a graduate of Messiah College’s selective, demanding, yet highly rewarding nursing program, you’ll be fully prepared to enter the largest healthcare profession in the United States—one that is projected to continue to grow well into the next several decades.
We emphasize the Christian aspects of commitment, compassion and patient care across the nursing curriculum, along with rigorous liberal arts and science courses. Then you get to apply what you’ve learned in the classroom in outstanding clinical settings, such as general and specialty hospitals (including four magnet hospitals); skilled nursing facilities for long-term care; schools; churches; free clinics; nurse-managed health centers; and many more. You’ll be well prepared to pass your licensure exam the first time and begin your exciting career in nursing.
Nursing major distinctives
- Practice life-like clinical simulations with medium and high-fidelity human simulators in state-of-the-art labs.
- Integrate liberal arts and sciences with stimulating nursing courses and apply what you learned in simulation labs and clinical settings.
- Pursue a career as a registered nurse in acute care or community settings or become a missionary taking your knowledge and skills abroad to those most in need.
- Go on for your advanced degree to become a nurse practitioner, clinical specialist, nurse midwife, nurse anesthetist, nurse educator, administrator or researcher.
- Join Nurses’ Christian Fellowship, a professional organization and a ministry for nurses and nursing students that provides encouragement and support for students desiring to minister through nursing and healthcare.
- Participate in evidence-based research projects in collaboration with regional clinical institutions, and present your findings at a regional nursing research conference.
- Choose a community health experience to obtain certification as Intimate Partner Violence counselors.
- Participate in community-based disaster drills.
- Join the Student Nurses Association that addresses current professional interests.
- Earn a spot among the nation’s brightest nursing students in the Lambda Kappa Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, the international nursing honor society.
Career options for nursing majors
As a graduate of the nursing program, students are equipped to secure positions as a registered nurse in a variety of clinical settings including:
- Acute care: medical/surgical, emergency room, intensive care, obstetrics, pediatrics, mental health and more
- Community health: hospice, school nursing, wellness centers, health clinics
- Long-term care: skilled nursing facilities, rehabilitation
Internship opportunities for nursing majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of nursing internships. A few examples include:
- Hershey Medical Center
- Geisinger Medical Center
- Pinnacle Health
- Holy Spirit Hospital
- University of Maryland Hospital
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Learn more about the Department of Nursing
Our program leads to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing focusing on nursing care of the individual, family and community in all stages of human development and across all levels of health and illness.
- Our ten full-time nursing faculty are members of Sigma Theta Tau International and experienced professionals with advanced degrees in their specialty fields. Five faculty hold doctoral degrees.
- Clinical contracts with more than 25 different clinical agencies in the region, including acute care community hospitals, long-term care facilities, academic medical center and specialty hospitals for psychiatric-mental illness clients.
- Nurses Christian Fellowship and National Student Nurses Association are available for student membership and activities.
Nursing Laboratories: two basic simulation laboratories, one advanced simulation laboratory, one maternal-child simulation laboratory, one psychiatric-mental health laboratory; equipped with state-of-the-art high and medium fidelity human simulators.