- Chemistry (B.A. or B.S.)
Chemistry (B.A. or B.S.)
Messiah’s state-of-the-art teaching laboratories and research-quality technology and equipment attract some of the nation’s brightest young men and women.
Investigate the world around you while also learning more about yourself and your Creator. Messiah College’s chemistry major places special emphasis on the integration of the knowledge and methods of science with what Christian faith teaches us about people and their role in the universe. Often called the “central science,” the chemistry major at Messiah offers research opportunities in areas such as green chemistry, natural products chemistry, and materials or minerals synthesis, to name a few .
You’ll be well prepared to
continue your education in graduate school, medical school, an allied
health field, or immediately enter a profession in teaching or in the
chemical or pharmaceutical industry.
As a chemistry major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Choose either a B.S. or B.A., whichever fits your particular goals.
- Take exciting and challenging courses in general, organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry as well as chemical analysis.
- Research green chemistry, natural products chemistry, materials synthesis, mineral synthesis, phytoremediation, and archae biochemistry.
- Gain direct experience through internships at leading scientific institutions such as Lancaster Laboratories, Analytical Laboratory Services, and Merck Pharmaceuticals as well as Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine.
- Participate in the School of Science, Engineering and Health Fall and Spring Research Symposia.
- Work as a lab assistant, tutor, or supplementary instructor.
- Join the Medical Awareness Society (pre-medical club) or Sigma Zeta (national science and mathematics honors society).
- Study with outstanding Christian faculty members who are not only highly qualified academically but also have extensive experience in their fields.
- Pre-professional programs include medical, dental, pharmacy, and veterinary
The Jordan Science Center and Kline Hall of Science offer state-of-the-art teaching laboratories and research-quality technology and equipment.