- Chinese Studies
Become knowledgeable, confident and competent in Chinese language, history and culture as a Chinese studies major at Messiah College.
This major helps you build a wide range of highly marketable skills that global–minded employers desire. Messiah’s Chinese studies major provides broad preparation in the Chinese language and culture while also giving you the flexibility to complete a second major—or even two minors—in other areas that interest you.
You won’t simply read textbooks and attend class lectures to complete the course requirements for this major; you’ll have the unique opportunity to learn about the Chinese culture firsthand through an exciting semester of study abroad in Dalian, a city in northeastern Asia with a population of 6.13 million.
As a Chinese Studies major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Develop proficiency in another language.
- Spend a semester in China studying at the Dalian University of Finance and Economics.
- Take nine credits of Chinese language courses and three to six credits of courses in Chinese culture or history conducted in English at China’s Dalian University.
- Live among other international students at Dalian University in China where you can easily meet and interact with many Chinese students.
- Embark on an internship during your semester abroad in China.
- Gain skills that are in high demand among many of today’s employers.
- Develop global awareness and cultural understanding through direct experiences in the Chinese culture.
- Prepare for a career as a translator or interpreter in secondary and higher education, missions, international business, law, journalism, government or the Foreign Service
- Continue on to graduate school to specialize in Chinese, business, international studies and many other fields.