Philosophy at Messiah College
Are you a questioning person? Do you enjoy thinking about the pros and cons, the whys and why-nots of just about everything?
If you are, then a philosophy major might be right for you. What can you do with a philosophy major? Plenty!
As you sharpen you critical thinking skills, think deeply about the world, life and your Christian beliefs, you’ll be better equipped to more thoughtfully engage our culture and solve its pressing problems. As a Messiah philosophy major, you’ll share your college experience with other inquisitive students, engaging one another in a careful, systematic investigation of fundamental issues of reality and human experience.
And your professors, caring and committed Christians, are deeply involved in not only teaching but also in the emerging scholarship and thought of their fields. Your professors will lead you through critical analysis of issues of great cultural significance such as free will, God's relation to the world and to evil, and the nature and origin of morality.
These experiences will equip you with the sort of background and intellectual skills employers seek – analytical, reasoning, critical thinking, problem-solving and effective communication skills. And did you know that philosophy is considered the best major to pursue if you are considering law school?
Philosophy major distinctives
- Immerse yourself in an environment of critical-thinking, questioning, reasoning, point/counter-point conversations and deep intellectual thought.
- Delve into a broad historical background in Western thought as well as an exposure to non-Western philosophy.
- Have the opportunity to study abroad at Oxford or other universities.
- Complete a double major in disciplines such as English, history, computer science, Bible, religion, and Christian ministries.
- Respectfully consider alternate points of view and engage people of other faiths.
- Pursue internships such as one at the Religion and Society Center in Harrisburg, which seeks to foster ecumenical conversations and understanding. Other internship opportunities include grant/technical report writing, working in a legal office or working in a senator's or representative's office in Harrisburg.
- Live and learn at the Reconciliation House, a student residence where students orient learning around issues of racial and cultural reconciliation.
- Enjoy learning and socializing in Boyer Hall, which has an inviting student lounge for reading and accessing department resources.
Career options for philosophy majors
As a graduate of the philosophy program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Graduate student (Law, MBA, Medical, Seminary)
- Grant writer
- Consume advocate
- Technical writer
- Business analyst
Internship opportunities for philosophy majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of philosophy internships. A few examples include:
- Helping write or review grants for nonprofits
- Helping write technical reports
- Working in a law office
- Working in a senator’s or representative’s office in Harrisburg
Learn more about the Department of Philosophy
|Scholarly faculty specialize in philosophy of science, philosophy of religion, metaphysics, epistemology, and twentieth-century French and German philosophy.|
|The department sponsors several philosophy lectures each year.|
|All professors have Ph.D. degree.|
|The department serves in an advisory role for the student-run philosophy club.|