Psychology at Messiah College
With a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology from Messiah College, you’ll be well prepared for many entry-level positions or graduate school.
We’ve built this major to provide you with maximum flexibility! As a psychology major at Messiah College, you can easily pick up a minor, pursue a double major, study abroad or even do multiple internships.
In this major, you’ll study how humans think, feel, and behave; conduct research in areas such as motivation, thinking, attention, learning, effects of substance use and abuse, and genetic and neurological factors in behavior; and be mentored by our caring professors who are also committed Christians. Our faculty encourages you to stretch yourself. They want you to really experience your education through hands-on learning opportunities.
You’ll find that our program challenges you to think deeply about how to integrate your Christian faith with the study of psychology, and when you graduate, you’ll be well prepared to enter the work force in a wide variety of psychology-related positions. You may also decide to pursue graduate studies just like nearly 50% of our graduates do each year.
Psychology major distinctives
As a psychology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Work alongside faculty on research projects that result in presentations and publications.
- Prepare to become a counselor by adding the clinical concentration to your B.A. degree
- Learn how to use client interview, testing and observation methods.
- Delve into challenging courses such as History and Systems, Psychological Testing, and Experimental Psychology.
- Gain valuable work experience through internships as a case manager, crisis worker, therapeutic staff support, residential counselor, psychiatric assistant or youth worker.
- Take advantage of the major’s flexibility by adding a minor, double major or semester abroad.
- Participate in the senior honors project—a yearlong research project directed by a faculty member resulting in formal presentations to students and faculty.
- Join Psi Chi, the national honor society for psychology.
Career options for psychology majors
As a graduate of the psychology program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Behavioral health specialist
- Case manager
- Crisis worker
- Youth worker
- Therapeutic staff supporter
Internship opportunities for psychology majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of psychology internships. A few examples include:
- Hoffman Homes
- New Hope Ministries
- PhilHaven Behavioral Health
- Edgewater Psychiatric Services
- Methodist Home for Children
Learn more about the Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology is housed in the School of Business, Education and Social Sciences. Learn more about the Department of Psychology by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- All full-time faculty are active scholars and have terminal degrees.
- Group/individual interview rooms used for practice counseling and research have video recording capability and microphones so that the instructor can speak to the participants in the observation rooms.
- Every year some Messiah College psychology grads are accepted directly into doctoral programs. In recent years, students have gone directly into doctoral programs at University of Central Florida, Brandeis, Wheaton College, Indiana State University, Immaculata University, Virginia Tech, and Argosy University.
- Messiah College psychology majors are eagerly sought after by local social service agencies like Hoffman Homes in Gettysburg, the YMCA in Carlisle, New Hope Ministries, Phil Haven Behavioral Health Services, Edgewater Psychiatric Services, or the Methodist Home for Children in Mechanicsburg.
- The department sponsors student clubs such as Minds Matter, a club aimed at educating the campus on mental health issues.