- Education: PreK - 4 (B.S.)
Education: PreK - 4 (B.S.)
Messiah’s early childhood (PreK- 4) education major curriculum provides you with a full-time, 12-week student-teaching experience and prepares you to pass your teaching certification (Praxis) exams.
Combine your passion for teaching the youngest learners (pre-kindergarten through grade 4) with the experiences you’ll gain through pre-student teaching at Messiah’s on-site National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)-accredited Early Learning Center (ELC) and also through our extensive, supervised field opportunities offered in a variety of school, classroom, and demographic settings.
Our better than 97% pass rate on the Praxis II: Professional Knowledge Exam is just one indication of how well Messiah College prepares students for teaching certification and careers in Early Childhood Education. Human resource recruiters seek out Messiah graduates and school administrators who interview and hire our graduates give consistently positive feedback about their instructional design skills.
As an early childhood major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Specialize in an academic area, pick up a minor, and participate in co-curricular activities such as athletics.
- Create a professional portfolio for potential employers.
- Become familiar with and administer standardized tests.
- Study abroad to compare education in other cultures.
- Design and implement your own instructional plans.
- Elect to do a department Honors project.
- Observe local public school classrooms.
- Attend statewide conferences and participate in competitions through the Messiah College Education Association chapter.
- Present research findings alongside professors at the state and/or national level.
- Apply for four annual scholarships (amounts from $1,000-$3,000) available to seniors.