Public Relations at Messiah College
The Bachelor of Arts in public relations major at Messiah College combines theoretical understanding with real-world best practices to prepare you to be a strategic and ethical communicator in a rapidly changing field.
In our top-ranked Christian college’s public relations program, you’ll take a range of specialized communication courses designed to give you the theoretical and practical knowledge needed for a public relations career in the non-profit or corporate world. Most importantly, you'll learn how to help organizations communicate through ethical, strategic, two-way communication that values perspectives from both company leaders and the publics they serve.
Public relations major distinctives
- Have the flexibility to double-major or minor, study abroad or participate in cross-cultural courses.
- Have the opportunity to participate in The Pulse, Messiah College’s student media hub, which includes WVMM, an FCC-licensed FM radio station; with Channel 13, a cable access TV channel; with the Swinging Bridge, the campus newspaper; with The Clarion, the college’s yearbook; or with The Pulse’s thriving social media pages.
- Join the Messiah College chapter of the PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America)
- Continue your education through a variety of graduate programs in public relations, communication, business, higher education, educational leadership and law.
- Take an event planning class and help plan on-campus events and off-campus events for local nonprofits.
Career options for public relations majors
Graduates of the public relations degree program, students are equipped to secure jobs such as:
- Public relations director
- Campaign manager
- Brand ambassador
- Account executive
- Event planner
- Marketing associate
- Web content creator
- Social media specialist
- Crisis manager
- Corporate writer
Internship opportunities for public relations majors
For more information on career planning for the public relations program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of public relations internships. A few examples of public relations internships include:
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Inside-Out Creative
- Pennsylvania Department of State
- CURE International
- Time Warner Cable
- Washington National Opera
- Tierney Communications
- Bravo Group
- Pennsylvania Senate
- JPL Creative Inc.
- Suasion Public Relations
- Northeastern PA Red Cross
- Element Six Creative Group
Careers in public relations are expected to significantly increase in the next five years and Messiah is one of the few colleges in the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) to offer a public relations major.
Practicing public relations
In addition to expert classroom instruction in the public relations degree program, experiential opportunities abound in such areas as campaign projects, off-campus internships and on-campus public relations activities. As a senior, you will manage a public relations campaign for a nonprofit client from start to finish including research, planning, implementation and evaluation.
Interested in event planning, crisis communication, media relations, social media, publications or fundraising? Your public relations degree will prepare you for a job in any one of these fields for nonprofit or corporate companies.