Public Relations at Messiah College
The public relations major at Messiah College combines
theoretical understanding with real-world best practices to prepare you
to be a strategic and ethical communicator in a rapidly changing field.
Careers in public relations are expected to significantly increase in the next five years and Messiah is one of the few colleges in the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) to offer a public relations major.
In addition to expert classroom instruction, experiential opportunities abound in such areas as campaign projects, off-campus internships and on-campus public relations activities. As a senior, you will manage a public relations campaign for a nonprofit client from start to finish including research, planning, implementation and evaluation.
Interested in event planning, crisis communication, media relations, social media, publications or fundraising? Your Messiah education will prepare you to work in any one of these fields for nonprofit or corporate companies.
Public relations major distinctives
As a public relations major at Messiah College, you'll be able to:
- Have the flexibility to double-major or minor, study abroad or participate in cross-cultural courses.
- Have the opportunity to participate in The Pulse, Messiah College’s student media hub, which includes WVMM, an FCC-licensed FM radio station; with Channel 13, a cable access TV channel; with the Swinging Bridge, the campus newspaper; with The Clarion, the college’s yearbook; or with The Pulse’s thriving social media pages.
- Join the Messiah College chapter of the PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America)
- Continue your education through a variety of graduate programs in public relations, communication, business, higher education, educational leadership and law.
- Take an event planning class and help plan on-campus events and off-campus events for local nonprofits.
Career options for public relations majors
As a graduate of the public relations program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Public relations director
- Campaign manager
- Brand ambassador
- Account executive
- Event planner
- Marketing associate
- Web content creator
- Social media manager
Internship opportunities for public relations majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of public relations internships. A few examples include:
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Inside-Out Creative
- Pennsylvania Department of State
- CURE International
- Time Warner Cable
- Washington National Opera
- Tierney Communications
- Bravo Group
- Pennsylvania Senate
- JPL Creative Inc.
- Suasion Public Relations
- Northeastern PA Red Cross
- Element Six Creative Group
Learn more about the Department of Communication
- Numerous internships available locally in public relations, media production, media management, marketing, journalism and film.
- Messiah's student newspaper, yearbook, television and radio station have been brought together into a multimedia setting- The Pulse: Messiah College Media Hub addresses the changing landscape of the journalism field.
- Professional equipment, including broadcast quality microphones, digital audio recorder, HD cinema and DLSR cameras and 16mm Motion Picture Cameras.
- Brand new instructional facilities which include digital editing labs, large studio space, fully equipped control room, green room, soundproof booth and foley studio.
- Access to Parmer Cinema, which features state-of-the-art projection equipment and review-room quality surround sound.
- Study with a professor who is also a part-time sports anchor; one who regularly publishes and present research through the Society for Cinema and Media Scholars; or another who has served as a communication consultant.