- Education: with Dual Teaching Certification in Grades PreK-4 and Special Education PreK-8
Education: with Dual Teaching Certification in Grades PreK-4 and Special Education PreK-8
Messiah’s dual certification in Early Childhood and Special Education means you’ll have increased opportunities for employment in both areas.
Completion of your dual teaching certification requirements in Pre-K and Special Education will qualify you to work in a regular educational setting in Pre K-4 or as a special education teacher in preschools, elementary schools, and middle schools. If you have a passion for teaching a broad age range of students with diverse learning needs, this major may be for you.
At Messiah, you’ll have extensive opportunities for supervised field work in a variety of school, classroom, and demographic settings. You’ll also have the unique opportunity to do some pre-student teaching at our on-site National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)-accredited Early Learning Center.
These experiences along with our rigorous academic curriculum and 100% pass rate for the Praxis II Special Education Knowledge Exam (for Pennsylvania certification) make our students highly competitive candidates for employment. School administrators who interview and hire our graduates give consistently positive feedback about the instructional design skills of our students.
As an early childhood and special education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Create a professional portfolio for potential employers.
- Become familiar with and administer standardized tests.
- Study abroad to compare education in other cultures.
- Elect to do a department Honors project.
- Design and implement a math fair in an urban classroom.
- Choose to do a pre-student teaching experience with our on-site Early Learning Center.
- Arrange for a field experience available from more than 25 school districts.
- Take advantage of the flexible program which allows participation in co-curricular activities such as athletics and theatre.
- Apply for four annual scholarships (amounts from $1,000 to $3,000) available for seniors.