- Education: with Teaching Certification in Grades 4-8
Education: with Teaching Certification in Grades 4-8
This new Pennsylvania certification program is designed to prepare you for a teaching career in the upper primary, middle, intermediate, and junior high school levels.
Whether you would like to teach in a public or private school in the U.S. or abroad, our program, with its nine different concentration options in four content areas, will prepare you for success. There are many exciting opportunities awaiting you, including study abroad and rich field experiences. And, all of your courses at Messiah are taught by professors who are committed Christians.
If you have passion for service through teaching, whether at the upper primary, middle/intermediate, or junior high school level, Messiah’s Middle Level Education Certification major could be right for you. Our program will help you grow in your Christian faith while also sharpening your problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Our better than 97% pass rate on the Praxis II: Professional Knowledge Exam is just one indication of how well Messiah College prepares students for teaching certification and teaching careers. You’ll graduate ready to use your solid foundation in effective curriculum development; instructional planning, delivery, and assessment; and classroom management to help others learn.
As a middle level education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Develop deep knowledge in a specific content area.
- Become skilled in the art and methods of the teaching profession.
- Elect to study abroad to compare education in other cultures.
- Spend two full days per week in a public school classroom in your junior year.
- Transition from student to teacher in your senior year through your full-time, 12-week professional semester as a student teacher.
- Choose a field experience in one of more than 25 school districts.
- Create a professional portfolio for potential future employers.
- Take a May- or January-term (J-term) cross-cultural trip.
- Apply for four annual scholarships (amounts from $1,000 - $3000) available for seniors.
Concentrations in this Major:
Mathematics (PDF Course Listing)
Mathematics and English (PDF Course Listing)
Mathematics and Social Studies (PDF Course Listing)
Science (PDF Course Listing)
Science and English (PDF Course Listing)
Science and Social Studies (PDF Course Listing)
Science and Mathematics (PDF Course Listing)
Social Studies (PDF Course Listing)