Spanish Business Major at Messiah College
The demand for Spanish-speaking, business-savvy professionals is expected to grow.
If you’re interested in polishing your Spanish language skills so you can use them in a business setting, then consider Messiah College’s Spanish business major. Our program fully prepares you to meet the growing global demand for individuals with a strong background in business and high proficiency in a second language. We offer a challenging curriculum, a nationally ranked study abroad program, and local internships that give you countless opportunities to use and sharpen your Spanish and business skills.
While at Messiah, you’ll study for a full semester at the Universidad Pontifical de Valparaíso, Chile, as part of the International Studies Abroad (ISA) program. You’ll immerse yourself in the culture as you live with a Spanish family.
Back at Messiah, your courses in subjects such as business, Spanish language, literature, history and politics, led by committed Christian faculty who have lived and worked among Spanish-speaking peoples, will complement your cross-cultural experiences. And you’ll be ready to embark on your next step, whether in international business, mission and international service fields, community organizations with international ties, or even graduate school to further specialize in Business or Spanish.
Spanish (business) major distinctives
As a Spanish major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Participate in three-week cross-cultural trips to Ecuador and Spain.
- Use your Spanish skills in community service and volunteer opportunities.
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance, and courses that consider the political, social and cultural histories of the Spanish-speaking people.
- Use our state-of-the-art, Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory that offers you the ability to improve your listening comprehension, speaking and pronunciation skills in Spanish.
Career options for Spanish (business) majors
As a graduate of the Spanish (business) program, students are equipped to secure positions in industries such as:
- International business
- Mission and international service fields
- Positions in community organizations with international ties
- Graduate school to further specialize in business or Spanish
- Domestic businesses with Hispanic clientele
Internship opportunities for Spanish (business) majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of Spanish (business) internships. A few examples include:
- Healthcare agencies
- Education facilities
- Social work agencies
- International opportunities
Learn more about the Department of Modern Languages
- The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- State-of-the-art technology with extensive language software is available in the Beatriz Howe language lab.
- Modern language students take an intensive semester in Paris, France; Marburg, Germany; China; Valparaiso, Chile; or Barcelona, Spain.
- Teaching certification is available in French, German and Spanish languages.
- Language proficiency is evaluated according to the guidelines of the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Students learn how to think and read critically, speak clearly and interact with others around the globe.
- Professors lead cross-cultural courses, conduct research, publish and present papers nationally and internationally.
- Among our professors is one who is a translator and interpreter; another who has transcribed books; and several who have studied, taught, traveled, worked and lived abroad.