Studio Art (B.A. or BFA) at Messiah College
Develop your creative skills as you prepare for an exciting career as an artist in our accredited program!
At Messiah College, you’ll prepare for an exciting career in studio art by choosing from one of our three concentrations: graphic design and digital art, three-dimensional studies, or two-dimensional studies. Our program’s flexibility encourages you to take minors or double majors, such as history, or marketing, so you can shape the studio art major according to your own specific areas of interest.
You can also study off-campus at places including the Gordon Orvieto Program in Italy, or Wesley College in Sydney, Australia. The breadth and depth of our studio art major provide countless opportunities for you to test your creativity and hone your skills in graphic design, printmaking, papermaking, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, fibers and more!
Studio art major distinctives
As a Studio Art major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Learn from noted artists through our visiting artists and lecturers each semester.
- Study with faculty who are practicing artists and have had their work featured in shows and publications across the country and throughout the world, and with an art historian has worked in major museums and published extensively.
- Display your creative works regionally.
- Show your work at our yearly juried student art exhibition.
- Be well-prepared for graduate school (BFA program).
- Have the opportunity to participate in a practicum.
- Participate in the departmental honors program and/or independent study. opportunities for in-depth research and study.
- Build a solid body of creative work in preparation for your capstone senior art exhibition.
- Have a dedicated studio space in the Warehouse (senior students).
- Take our annual field trip to a major U.S. city to explore museums and galleries.
Career options for studio art majors
As a graduate of the studio art program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Studio artists
- MFA students
- Arts therapists
- Graphic designer
- Art director
- Studio assistant
- Museum professional
For more information on career planning for the studio art program, visit the Messiah College Career Center.
Internship opportunities for studio art majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of studio art internships. A few examples include:
- Graphic design firms
- Public arts institutions
- Studio assistants
Learn more about the Department of Visual Arts
Well-equipped facilities including a variety of art studios, an art gallery, an art history classroom with specialized digital image projection and a darkroom.
- Graphics and technology suite with Mac computers and the latest Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Art education major provides a strong curriculum and thorough training in the arts within the framework of a liberal arts education and with commitment to a Christian world-view.
- Accredited by the National Association of Art and Design (NASAD).
- Department sponsors a complete exhibition calendar as well as annual lectures attended by the Messiah community and residents of the Harrisburg area.
- The department takes semi-annual trips to museums in New York City and other nearby cities.
Graduates have received advances degrees from respected graduate schools across the country.
- Many graduates now work in fields that include careers in galleries, graphic design firms, Internet businesses, product design firms and publishing companies.
- Art faculty regularly participate in juried national exhibits and have won national design awards.
- Art faculty helped create and direct the national organization of Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA).