- German (B.A.)
Immerse yourself in the German language, culture, and literature both at Messiah and abroad.
As a German major at Messiah College, you’ll experience a four-week intensive German language course in at Internationales Kulturinstitut at Vienna, Austria, followed by one or two semesters at the Philipps Universität in Marburg, Germany. Between semesters in Germany, you may complete an internship arranged by Brethren in Christ Abroad (BCA).
Here at Messiah, you’ll find yourself immersed in German language, culture, and literature. Our faculty, who have studied and lived in German-speaking regions of the world, provide challenging coursework that will develop your linguistic competence and critical skills, as well as provide a profound appreciation of the culture and civilization of the German-speaking people. As the international demand for students with advanced training in modern languages and cultures increases, employers seek Messiah College graduates for their first-hand experiences, linguistic competence, and communication skills.
As a German major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Choose a secondary major or two minors. (The German major at Messiah is a 42-hour requirement.)
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance. Other courses consider the political, social, and cultural histories of the German-speaking people.
- Travel with classmates and faculty on a three-week cross-cultural trip to Germany for further cultural and linguistic immersion.
- Use our state-of-the-art Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory that offers you the ability to improve your listening comprehension, speaking, and pronunciation skills.
- Take regular university courses in literature, history, and politics, bible, theology, physical education, art, theater, psychology, and other areas at Philipps Universität.