The Mission of the Young Writers Workshop at Messiah College:
- To enable students to become better writers in a safe and positive learning environment
- To develop a community of writers that is established during the week and endures beyond the week.
- To give students a foretaste of college experience and college level thinking and writing.
- To introduce students to Messiah College in a way that will encourage them to think about Messiah as a future academic home.
- To encourage students to understand the value of the humanities.
What You Will Learn
In Class Track Learning Outcomes
- Students will read and extensively discuss works of short fiction and poetry by Dickinson, Whitman, Chekov, and Dostoevsky and others.
- Students will learn to write original works of short fiction and poetry.
- Students will learn to read and respond to each other’s work effectively.
- Students will learn how to revise their work in response to their peers.
- Students will produce a portfolio of their own work and present a reading.
"Messiah's Young Writers Workshop was an experience I will never forget. The teachers and and professors were phenomenal, as well as incredibly approachable; I gained so much knowledge about one of my passions in a matter of four days. I was pushed to experiment with my writing, and I came away with so many new pieces. I was already considering Messiah as a potential school to attend, and now, after exploring the campus and getting a firsthand taste of college life, I am even more convinced that Messiah is a school for me."
2015 Young Writers Workshop Graduate
Out of Class Learning Outcomes
- Students will learn to live together in a supportive academic community.
- Students will learn more about what it is like to live and work in a college environment.
- Students will learn about the mission and values of Messiah College.
- Students will learn about the literary and cultural life of the Harrisburg Area.