- Health and Exercise Science (B.A.)
Health and Exercise Science (B.A.)
Prepare for a career in one of the fastest growing and changing U.S. Industries—health and fitness.
At Messiah College, you’ll gain firsthand experience in the field of health and exercise science with particular attention paid to learning how your Christian faith and career aspirations can strengthen each other. Through labs, internships, research studies, and class projects, you’ll receive valuable hands-on experience in applying concepts presented in classes by seasoned faculty who are respected scholars.
Messiah’s unique multi-dimensional approach to wellness offers course work in anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics, chronic disease, health promotion, exercise psychology, kinesiology and nutrition preparing you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to promote wellness among diverse population groups while aiding them in being good stewards of one of God's great masterpieces—the human body.
As a health and exercise science major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Develop an understanding of the anatomical and physiological responses to acute and chronic exercise and critically analyze human movement patterns.
- Work on a human cadaver as a pre-physical therapy student.
- Enroll in courses that focus on exercise psychology, elite athletic performance, stress testing and ECG interpretation.
- Conduct research in accordance with the principles of sound qualitative and quantitative research interpretation and procedure.
- Pursue graduate studies in specialized fields such as cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, fitness program leadership or exercise physiology.
- Study abroad to complete an internship or clinical experience in physical therapy or in the health and fitness field (specifically in England, New Zealand, or Greece).
- Choose a double major, possibly in nutrition.
- Participate in conferences at the regional and national level.
- Build strong networks in the field through clinical experiences and professional contacts.
- Plan ahead by taking prerequisite course requirements for graduate school.
- Participate in college honors and departmental honors programs.
Messiah College students from the Health and Exercise Science major have more than a 98 percent acceptance rate into physical therapy school, allied health programs, and other graduate programs (e.g., exercise physiology).
|Department of Health and Human Performance|
|Learn more about this department
|Clubs and student organizations include the Athletic Training Students Association, Sports Management Society, and Pre-Physical Therapy Club.|
|Opportunity to work on a human cadaver (pre-physical therapy students)|
|Professors' area of research include: youth sports and ethical issues; health education, race/ethnicity; sponsorship and marketing; and strength and conditioning.|
|98 percent acceptance rate into physical therapy, allied health, and other related graduate programs (Health and exercise science major)|
|Excellent on-campus facilities such as Messiah's human performance lab, athletic training facilities, weight room, natatorium, indoor jogging track, and the Falcon Fitness Center.|