- Applied Health Science (B.S.)
Applied Health Science (B.S.)
Prepare for a career in one of the fastest growing and changing U.S. Industries—health and wellness.
At Messiah College, you’ll gain firsthand experience in the field of applied health science with particular attention paid to learning how your Christian faith and career aspirations can strengthen each other. Through internships, research and clinical courses, you’ll receive valuable hands-on experience in applying concepts presented in classes by seasoned faculty who are respected scholars.
Messiah’s unique multi-dimensional approach to wellness offers course work in anatomy, exercise physiology, exercise psychology, kinesiology and nutrition, preparing you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to promote wellness among diverse population groups while aiding them in being good stewards of one of God's greatest creations—the human body.
As an applied health science major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Prepare for a career in allied health, medicine, physical therapy or other health and wellness professions.
- Choose from pre-professional, pre-physical therapy or exercise science concentration
- The applied health science coursework successfully prepares students to go on to medical school, physical therapy school or complete other advanced degrees in the allied health fields.
- Develop an understanding of the anatomical and physiological responses to acute and chronic exercise and critically analyze human movement patterns.
- Work on a human cadaver as a pre-physical therapy or pre-professional student.
- Conduct research with faculty members
- Work with the campus wellness program
- Design personal fitness programs for individuals
- Pursue graduate studies in specialized fields such as cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, fitness program leadership or exercise physiology.
- Participate in conferences at the regional and national level.
- Participate in college honors and departmental honors programs.
Messiah College students have more than a 98 percent acceptance rate into physical therapy school, allied health programs, and other graduate programs (e.g., exercise physiology).
|Department of Health and Human Performance|
|Learn more about this department
|Clubs and student organizations include the Athletic Training Students Association, Sports Management Society, and Pre-Physical Therapy Club.|
|Opportunity to work on a human cadaver (pre-physical therapy and pre-professional students)|
|Professors' area of research include: youth sports and ethical issues; health education, race/ethnicity; sponsorship and marketing; and strength and conditioning.|
98 percent acceptance rate into physical therapy, allied health, and other related graduate programs.
|Excellent on-campus facilities such as Messiah's extensive applied human physiology lab, athletic training facilities, weight room, natatorium, indoor jogging track, and the Falcon Fitness Center.|