(M.Ed.) Degree Tracks
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Never before has the need for instructors of English as a second language been greater. The combination of an exploding job environment and the increase of global interaction will result in a growing need for teachers of English as a second or foreign language, both in the United States and abroad.
Job opportunities include:
- Teaching English to all ages in schools around the world
- Teaching English to adults in the U.S.
- Teaching English in higher education
- Teaching English in specialized sectors, such as business, healthcare and tourism
- Teaching English in ministry or non-profit agencies
- Developing English teaching curricula, materials and programs
- Team-teaching through local and government initiatives with English teachers from around the world
- Working abroad as an English teacher for the U.S. government, through programs such as Fullbright and the Peace Corps
TESOL coursework within the M.Ed. begins by taking a broad look at TESOL as it functions worldwide, through examining how individuals, communities, programs, and governments envision and engage in second- and foreign-language learning. Students then investigate the English language, with a view of gaining an understanding of its phonology and syntax, as well as how the English language contrasts with other languages. Students then connect theory to practice by studying TESOL methodology, and applying their learning in real contexts through field experiences. The coursework concludes with a thesis or project.
Graduates of this program will be well prepared to collaborate and teach English in very diverse settings, as well as lead TESOL initiatives within those settings.
This track requires 33 credits.
Pages in (M.Ed.) Degree Tracks
- Special Education with a Pre-K to 8 Grade Teaching Certification
- Special Education
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), with a Pennsylvania English as a Second Language (ESL) Program Specialist Certification, (K-12)
- You are here: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Special Education with Grades 7-12 PA Teaching Certification