- Graduate Programs: Counseling
Graduate Programs: Counseling
Master of Arts in Counseling
Are you looking to advance your career as a clinical mental health counselor, couple and family counselor, or school counselor? With a program and faculty reflecting Messiah’s reputation for academic excellence, Messiah College’s CACREP-accredited M.A. in counseling prepares you to work in a variety of professional settings.
Messiah’s counseling degree and certificate options allow you to achieve work-life balance. The majority of courses are conducted online, so you are free to pursue your career and your degree simultaneously.
Counseling degree tracksClinical mental health counseling
Marriage, couple and family counseling
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) in CounselingIf you already have a master’s degree in an appropriate counseling-related field, Messiah offers a CAGS in counseling to help you continue to meet education goals and to meet state requirements for Pennsylvania licensure or certification.
CACREP accreditedAll of Messiah’s counseling program tracks are nationally accredited by CACREP. (Why is CACREP accreditation important?)
Messiah’s M.A. in counseling offers:
- Program completion time frames ranging from two to six years —select the one that’s right for you.
- Flexible, affordable, and convenient with the majority of courses conducted online combined with just the right amount of traditional classroom and practical experience for your busy life and active schedule.
- Designed to prepare you to sit for your professional counseling licensure exam (LPC), your marriage, and family therapy licensure exam (LMFT), or become a certified school counselor in Pennsylvania.
- All courses taught by Messiah’s faculty—experienced counselors and nationally recognized scholars who will take time to mentor you in your education, faith and career.
- Small class sizes ensure personalized attention and meaningful interaction with professors and classmates.
- Rolling admission Messiah accepts graduate program applicants year round allowing you to enter the program at multiple points throughout the year.
The CACREP-Messiah College distinction
Messiah College has the only online, faith-based, CACREP accredited, master’s in counseling program in Pennsylvania and the only CACREP accredited, online, faith-based program in marriage, couple and family counseling in the U.S. CACREP has announced that it is extending accreditation for all three of Messiah's counseling tracks through the year 2020.
The New York State Education Department recently approved the Clinical Mental Health Track as meeting the educational requirements for New York licensure.
Messiah provided me the perfect opportunity to continue working full time while working towards my longer-term career goals… Thanks to my educational experience at Messiah, I was offered a mental health professional position at my practicum site and am now applying my knowledge and passion for counseling every day.
~Denise Poremba, Mental health professional, NHS of PA-Capital Region, Harrisburg, Pa.; 2013 graduate, clinical mental health track