2015 Audition and Interview Dates
- Saturday, February 7th, 2015
- Saturday, February 28th, 2015
Apply Now for Fall 2015
STEP 1. APPLY
Apply to Messiah College.
STEP 2. SCHEDULE AN AUDITION/INTERVIEW
Audition/interview may be scheduled by calling Kevin Hodes at: 717-796-5045 or email: KHodes@messiah.edu. All applicants seeking admission to the Department of Theatre and Dance must audition for and/or interview with the department’s faculty. Acceptance by the college does not guarantee acceptance into the Department. We welcome applicants with several years of experience as well as those who have recently discovered the theatre and dance.
STEP 3. SUBMIT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
All applicants must submit an artist’s statement, photo, and résumé. These materials are due 10 business days before your audition or portfolio presentation date.
(1) Artist’s Statement: A 350 word statement that introduces you as a theatre artist. What are your unique qualities as an artist? Describe your work ethic. What inspires you to create? Why do you want to study theatre or dance? As part of the artist statement, indicate what emphasis or major you are interested in pursuing. (dance, acting, directing or tech and design)
(2) Photo and Résumé: A recent photo and a résumé of your work in theatre or dance. A professional head shot is not required. For prospective dance majors also submit a full body shot along with your head shot.
Application Requirements may be submitted to:
School of the Arts
One College Avenue Suite 3004
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
STEP 4. AUDITION/INTERVIEW
Please select one of the following areas of theatre or dance to showcase in your audition/interview.
To submit a digital recording for your audition due to extenuating circumstances (traveling distance, hardship, etc.). First, please contact Kevin Hodes to notify the department of your intentions. Along with the recording, please send your artist ’s statement, resume, and photos. Following receipt of your applications materials, you will be contacted to schedule a phone or Skype interview (depending upon your technology capabilities) with the faculty members involved in the audition process.
- Emphasis in Acting: Prepare two contrasting monologues, one from a contemporary play; the other from a play written before 1900. Each monologue should be no longer than 90 seconds, offer as much contrast as possible, and be from a published play. Select roles you feel you are particularly suited for and that demonstrate your strengths. Monologues must be memorized. Alternately you may substitute 16-32 bars of a musical theatre song for one of your monologues. Please bring recorded accompaniment on a CD or MP3.
- Emphasis in Design and Technology: Be prepared to present a portfolio of previous work including technical drawings, production photos, and/or renderings as well as other artistic work. You may supplement your portfolio with slides, prints or digital portfolio of your work. Be prepared to leave a copy of your portfolio.
- Emphasis in Directing: Prepare one monologue from a contemporary play. The monologue should be no longer than 90 seconds. In addition, directors must prepare one of the two options listed below. The statements must be submitted to the faculty 10 business days before the scheduled portfolio review:
- Write a 500 word director’s concept statement for a realized or unrealized production of a play.
- Write a 500 word response to the director’s choices in a production you recently attended.
The dance audition consists of two parts.
- Group session: the group session will be used as a warm up and a chance for the instructors to meet the prospective students prior to the individual audition and interview.
- Individual audition interview: prepare a two to three minute variation or dance style of your choice. Please bring recorded music via CD or MP3.
- To submit a DVD for your audition due to extenuating circumstances (traveling distance, hardship, etc.). First, please contact Kevin Hodes to notify the department of your intentions.
Please be sure to include the following:
- Brief and informal introduction of yourself with a brief explanation of how and why you chose the dances being performed on the video.
- Two dance videos of varying styles no more than five minutes in length each. Please site the choreographer.
- Perform a turned out single or double pirouette to the right and the left.
B.F.A. Musical Theatre
- Group session: the group session will be used as a warm up and a chance for the dance instructors to meet and audition the prospective students prior to the individual audition and interview.
- Prepare 16-32 bars of a musical theatre song. You may bring along an accompanist, or you may request a pianist. Sheet music must be submitted two weeks prior to the audition date. For individual auditions, please bring recorded music via CD or mp3.
- Prepare one-60 second monologue. Select a role you feel you are particularly suited for and that demonstrate your strengths. Monologues must be memorized.
Accepted Student Preview Day:
Students accepted to the college will be invited to attend the “Accepted Student Preview Day." Prospective students are invited to attend special workshops or classes and visit with faculty members. For further information about the Accepted Student Preview Day, please contact the Admissions Office.
Applicants unable to attend either of the audition dates may make alternate arrangements by contacting Tymberley A. Whitesel. All auditions may be scheduled by calling Kevin Hodes at: 717-796-5045 or e-mail:KHodes@messiah.edu. It is preferable that the audition take place on campus.