Humanities Scholars Program
The Messiah College Humanities Scholars Program is comprised of accomplished students who demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm for studying the humanities. This program provides both a scholarship and enrichment programming that strengthens student understanding of the relationship between Christian faith and learning in the humanities, and deepens students' ability to translate knowledge and skills developed in Humanities disciplines into productive lives of leadership, service, and reconciliation after college.
Each year, 10 Dean's Scholarships in the Humanities are awarded to accomplished, incoming students majoring in any field associated with the School of the Humanities. These include majors in the following departments: Biblical & Religious Studies, Communication, English, History, Modern Languages, Philosophy, and Politics & International Relations, as well as and interdisciplinary majors in Ethnic and Area Studies. Students in Digital Media and Sustainability may apply if they intend to concentrate in the humanities component of those interdisciplinary majors.
These $2,500 scholarships are renewable for the subsequent three years that you are matriculated at Messiah College, for a total $10,000 scholarship. Additionally, this scholarship may be combined with the Messiah College, Provost's and Amigo Scholarships. It may not be combined with other merit scholarships at Messiah College, but recipients of other merit scholarships are eligible to participate in the enrichment programming if they have applied would otherwise have received a scholarship to the Humanities Scholars Program.
Any new first year or transfer student accepted to Messiah College with a declared major associated with the School of the Humanities may apply for this scholarship program. Priority application deadline is January 15, 2017.
Please fill out our online application and follow the instructions. All applications must be received no later than January 15, 2017 to be considered for the scholarship. If you are selected for an interview, you will hear from us around the last week of January.
Humanities scholarships are renewable for up to three years provided you:
- Remain a Messiah College student
- Maintain a 2.8 GPA as a first year student, and a 3.0 GPA as a sophomore, junior or senior
- Retain and make reasonable progress toward a primary or secondary major in the Humanities; this standard is separate from the standard of Satisfactory Academic Progress published by the Financial Aid Office and required to maintain eligibility for other forms of financial aid.
Humanities Scholarship Programming
As a First Year Student, you will have the opportunity to participate in:
- Participate in a field trip or seminar emphasizing the integration of faith and learning, as well as receive a copy of a faculty authored book
- Have lunch with a Distinguished Professor or special speaker from the School of the Humanities to discuss the relationship between Christian faith and the Humanities
- Attend a dinner with the keynote speaker for the annual Humanities Symposium in February
As a Second, Third, and Fourth Year Student, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead and serve in the School of the Humanities by participating on the Dean's Student Advisory Council, serving as an intern for the Center for Public Humanities, working as a recruitment diplomat for your department, or other form of school leadership of your choosing.
- Engage with a School of the Humanities alumni mentor who, through the next three years, will help you connect learning in the Humanities with potential careers or Christian service following graduation.