It could be argued that the family is one of the basic building blocks of society, and as such, a crucial element for the success of our society as a whole, and the overall functioning of our Church within that society. In response to this assertion, our programs help to prepare Christians to enhance individual and family well-being.
|Human Development & Family Science (B.A.)|
|Family & Consumer Sciences Education (B.S.)|
| Child and Family Services (B.A.) (for TEACH students only)
|Children & Youth Services|
|Pre-Counseling and Therapy|
|Students who already have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university can earn his/her teaching certification in Family & Consumer Sciences Education (Grades K-12). Learn more.|
Certified Family Life Educator Designation (CFLE)
Students in both of our majors are eligible to receive the provisional CFLE designation from the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) upon graduation. Learn more.
Any qualified student in one of our majors who successfully completes an independent research project in his/her senior year will graduate with Department Honors and receive special recognition at commencement. Learn more.
Did you know that the Human Development & Family Science program at Messiah College …
- Was the 1st program of its kind at a Christian liberal arts college?
- Was the 2nd program in the nation to be affirmed by the National Council on Family Relations’ (NCFR) Academic Program Review Committee for Certified Family Life Education?
- Is one of just a few such programs available in the country?
Did you know that the Family and Consumer Sciences Education program at Messiah College …
- Was one of the 1st programs to be crafted to meet the newly-revised academic standards for family and consumer sciences education?
- Was recently approved by the National Council on Family Relations’ (NCFR) Academic Program Review Committee for Certified Family Life Education?
- Is one of just a few such programs available in the state of Pennsylvania?
Did you know that the Child and Family Services program at Messiah College …
- was designed especially for non-traditional students employed in a Head Start program or a DPW certified child care center participating in the TEACH scholarship program?
- highlights the importance of parenting, family systems and interpersonal dynamics, allowing childcare professionals to become more effective partners with families in fostering healthy development of children?
- affords professional skills and disciplinary knowledge which will enhance the ability to work in a variety of contexts with children and their families?