Important: All camp employees (athletics, music, art, math, etc.)
Important: All lifeguards, Oakes Museum
Important: All employees in Dining Services, Campus Events, and Conference Services (summer only)
Because Messiah College hosts programs for minors on campus, Pennsylvania law requires that those employees working with such programs, either directly or indirectly, be fully screened to meet Act 73, Act 151, and Act 34. This means that any student who wishes to work with a camp or in an area that supports conferences or camps this summer will need to have background checks completed and clearances submitted to the Student Employment Office BEFORE the first day of work.
All camp employees (athletic camps, writer’s workshop, orchestra camp, theater camp, etc), Campus Events employees, Dining Services employees, Lifeguards, Conference Services employees and select Oakes Museum employees are required to obtain the following 3 background check clearances:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Check
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (Cogent) Fingerprinting Check
Employees not submitting background check confirmations will not be permitted to work. Directions for completing background checks can be found below. Keep in mind that it could take several weeks for the FBI clearance to arrive to you in the mail, so please plan accordingly.
|Background Check||Links to Additional Information||Cost||Who|
|Act 34: Pennsylvania State Police Check||Click here for instructions (PDF)||$10||Pennsylvania
|Act 151: Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance||Click here for instructions (PDF)||$10||Pennsylvania
|Act 73: FBI (Cogent) Fingerprinting Check||
Background check clearances should be submitted to the following individuals:
* Athletic Camp Employees: Casey Stone / Athletics Department / firstname.lastname@example.org
* All other summer student employees: Belinda Conrad / Student Employment Office, Old Main, first floor / StudentEmployment@messiah.edu
We must see the original FBI clearance. Scans, photocopies, and faxes will not be accepted. You can have the originals back after we view them.
Once you have completed a background check and have submitted the
clearances, your clearance remains in effect for three (3) years. You
will not need to complete the background checks each year. If there is a
gap in enrollment (the student leaves the college and then returns),
the student will need to re-obtain all clearances. If you think that
Messiah College may already have your records on file but are unsure,
please contact the Student Employment Office to confirm your materials
are on file before your first day of employment.
Special note for school employees and Messiah students that have previously completed background checks for your major:
- If you are a school employee (and haven’t had a break in employment), you can have your school district’s HR department send your clearances or a confirmation letter stating that you have been cleared. The clearances must be less than 3 years old. Please send to StudentEmployment@messiah.edu.
- If you are a Messiah student and have previously completed background checks for your major (and haven’t had a break in enrollment since then, and it has not been more than 3 years since submitted), you can have your department send us a confirmation email stating that you have been cleared. Please send to StudentEmployment@messiah.edu.