MA in Higher Education: Graduate Assistantships
The Master of Arts in Higher Education program at Messiah College offers a select number of Graduate Assistantships for full-time degree seeking students in the Master of Arts in Higher Education. Graduate assistantships offer students the opportunity to put the theories, gained through classroom instruction, into practice through supervised, real-world experience. Assistantships are designed to provide a meaningful educational and professional experience that will provide graduates with the skills and knowledge they need for successful professional employment. Graduate Assistantships are generally two-year appointments.
Compensation and Eligibility
Graduate Assistants earn compensation as salaried, non-exempt employees for the performance of administrative services that benefit the College and also serve as part of the student's academic and professional development. The service performed must be related to the student's academic program in order to qualify for an assistantship appointment. Students may not count the same work experience in their graduate assistantships for internship experience. The graduate assistantship and internship(s) must be distinct experiences. The graduate assistant must be eligible to work in the United States; eligibility is confirmed via the I-9 Form. Graduate Assistants must maintain full-time registered, degree-seeking status (6 credits per semester, 15 per calendar year) and good academic standing (3.0 GPA) for the duration of the Graduate Assistant appointment. Graduate Assistants work approximately 20 hours per week during their appointment and no more than 800 hours per academic year. Graduate Assistants may not be employed on campus in any other capacity during the period of the graduate assistantship.
2015-2016 Graduate Assistantships
(will be posted in November)
Graduate Assistantship opportunities are posted in late fall. Applications are reviewed, interviews are held, and invitations extended each spring. The application process is as follows:
- Complete the Graduate Assistantship Application after reviewing descriptions and requirements for each graduate assistantship position. Submit the application to email@example.com.
- Complete the Messiah College General Application Form. The employment application may be completed on-line but must be printed, signed, scanned, and submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org (not Human Resources)
- Begin the enrollment application process in the Master of Arts in Higher Education program.
- Please note that one or more references must have the ability to specifically address your skills and abilities in regards to the assistantship context.
Offers and Placements
- Graduate assistantships will be awarded based on a thorough review of applicants, including interviews. Interviews will be held on campus, generally during the month of March. If distance is a factor, Skype interviews can be conducted. Candidates' interests and skills will be matched with available two-year assistantships. Placements will be made in partnership with assistantship supervisors.
- Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
- Graduate Assistant placement is contingent upon completion of successful reference and background checks.
If you have any questions about the graduate assistantships or application process, please contact Tina Keul, Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com or (717) 796-5077.