Marketing at Messiah College
At Messiah, you get to “do” marketing through our flexible curriculum by writing real marketing plans, providing research services for businesses, and even participating in the sales component of marketing.
As a marketing major at Messiah College, you'll develop the ability to use your critical thinking skills and creativity to prepare marketing communication plans and develop advertising campaigns – even participate in national advertising campaigns – and provide research services for local nonprofit organizations. Campus organizations may even ask you to use your developing marketing skills to gather information and to promote their activities. You'll learn how to identify ethical issues related to marketing and to articulate personal responses that reflect your commitment to Christian principles.
And, as you learn more about the role marketing processes such as advertising, selling, and communications play in the development of economies throughout the world, you'll gain an in-depth understanding about how the marketing process helps organizations focus their resources and attention on meeting customer needs and wants.
Marketing major distinctives
As a marketing major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Travel abroad through a 3-week cross-cultural program, 10-week International Business Institute or a semester abroad.
- Take courses in consumer behavior, advertising, digital marketing, social media marketing, computer graphics, multimedia, and news writing.
- Experience real-world marketing opportunities through completing research and developing comprehensive marketing plans for on and off-campus clients.
- Participate in Messiah Business Alumni networking breakfasts to connect with other professionals in the business fields.
- Learn about marketing through a Christian perspective with a strong emphasis on social responsibility
- Participate in a wide variety of exciting internships in in sectors/organizations including advertising, sports, finance and manufacturing. Placements have included the Philadelphia Phillies and Hershey Foods.
- Apply what you’ve learned in the classroom to real world situations through the on-campus group, Enactus, formerly Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE).
Career options for marketing majors
As a graduate of the marketing program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- PR director
- Marketing development manager
- Account manager
- Marketing specialist
- Advertising executive
- Social media coordinator
- Brand manager
- Integrated marketing coordinator
- Market researcher
Internship opportunities for marketing majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of marketing internships. A few examples include:
- Advertising agencies
- Sports teams
- Financial organizations
- Corporate organizations
- Nonprofit organizations
Learn more about the Department of Management and Business
The Department of Management and Business is housed in the School of Business, Education and Social Sciences Learn more about the Department of Management and Business by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- The Department has 10 full-time faculty members who have strong experience in industry and academics and who seek to mentor students both spiritually and professionally.
- The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Professors in the Management and Business Department have worked or taught in Austria, Costa Rica, India, Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland, China and many other places, enabling them to infuse international and cross-cultural perspectives into their courses.
- Developing a student's global perspective has long been a specialty of Messiah College and the Department of Management and Business.
- Our students join students from several other Christian Colleges to attend the International Business Institute (IBI) a unique program of business study, corporate visits and travel through Europe, Russia, India and China.