Music Performance at Messiah College
Are you ready to become a successful musical performer?
If playing or singing music for an audience is your career goal, then a music performance degree from Messiah College’s renowned music program is definitely a step in the right direction. At Messiah, you'll develop the technical proficiency to excel in your preferred area of musical performance - instrumental or vocal - and acquire practical, personal and entrepreneurial skills necessary for a successful music career in the 21st century.
You’ll learn the techniques and develop the musical sensitivity needed to have a successful career in music performance through an emphasis on music fundamentals that enhance and apply to performance. In our program, you’ll build and fine-tune your technical skills through guided practices and grow in the self-awareness that will help you find your creative voice while developing deeper understanding of musical culture through the lens of a Christian worldview.
Music performance major distinctives
As a music performance major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Complete coursework which includes increased hours for private study on a chosen instrument.
- Receive instrument-specific instruction in pedagogy and literature.
- Perform two full recitals, building a strong base of repertoire and gaining important on-stage experience.
- Perform in various College musical ensembles including wind ensemble, concert choir, symphony orchestra, jazz ensemble, symphonic winds, opera workshop and chamber ensembles.
Career options for music performance majors
As a graduate of the music performance program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Professional singer
- Professional instrumentalist
- Recording artist
Internship opportunities for music performance majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of music performance internships. A few examples include:
- coming soon
Learn more about the Department of Music
- The newly constructed Calvin and Janet High Center of Worship and the Performing Arts (opened in January 2013) houses performance spaces, instrumental and choral rehearsal halls and outstanding practice facilities. Watch the video tour.
- 790-seat Parmer Hall (primary performance space) 150-seat Foundation Recital Hall
- 400-seat Miller Theatre for performances
- Professional- quality recording studio
- Laboratory for computer assisted instruction MIDI synthesizer, and an electric piano lab
- Instruments available for students' use include a large pipe organ located in Hostetter Chapel, several grand pianos (including the nine-foot Steinway D), a French double harpsichord and approximately 150 band and orchestra instruments.
- Students are encouraged to investigate the Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, Tenn. Credits taken during the one semester program at the Contemporary Music Center can be transferred for credit into the Messiah College program.