Exploring Majors & Career Options
As you think about your major and the career options that can be available to you, consider the following questions. Our career coaches can guide you through this process as you move forward with your major choice(s) and look at career options.
- How would I describe my skills, interests, and values?
- Considering past and present experiences, what energizes me the most? Why?
- How are the aspects of myself shaping my decisions about a major and potential career path?
- Choosing a Major - helpful handout which takes you through a step by step decision-making process.
- My Next Move - great website for considering your interests and potential majors/careers.
Messiah College's premier tool for self assessment.
Although we don't offer THE TEST that will "tell you what to do the rest of your life," self-assessments can help you and your career coach identify patterns of strengths and interests.
This in-depth handout provides helpful advice and resources to guide you through the
process of choosing a major.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook This website, developed by the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, offers a comprehensive list of occupations. Find information related to occupation descriptions, average salary, nature of the work, and more.
- Inside Jobs - Read through thousands of unique career profiles, which includes cutting edge jobs, salary ranges, and videos as an inside look into different careers.
- Job Shadow.com -- contains hundreds of video interviews with professionals in a wide variety of careers
- O*Net Online An online tool to research occupations, evaluate skill sets, and determine potential fits for your interests.
- Messiah College Professional Network When exploring majors and careers, it is advised that you learn more from speaking with and/or observing someone in your field of interest. If you would like assistance in identifying an alumn in a particular career field, please talk with a career coach.