HEALTH INSURANCE IS MANDATORY FOR ALL STUDENTS
Three Options Are Available
1. Private Insurance
Be sure to ask your insurer:
- Will your plan cover medical care and tests done "out-of-network" in Central PA?
- Will you need to travel to your hometown for any medical care?
- If you need to see a health care professional on or near campus, is a referral required from your primary care provider at home?
Students who do not provide proof of private health care insurance will be automatically enrolled in the school's student health insurance plan through BCS.
Please be aware:
- The student plan covers basic services for students who would otherwise be uninsured.
- Students who have the option of private coverage through a parent or guardian will usually be better covered on that plan than by the student insurance plan.
- Please CLICK HERE for a description of services covered.
Students with preexisting medical conditions who are not eligible for health insurance coverage through a parent or guardian should consider applying for the Pennsylvania Medical Assistance program CLICK HERE to apply.
WHAT STUDENTS NEED TO KNOW:
- Students should carry their insurance card with them
- Students need to know how to identify health systems, care providers and laboratory services that participate with their insurance plan.
- This information can be found by calling the 1-800 "member services" number on the back of the insurance card.
- The college health service submits laboratory specimens to Quest Laboratories.
- Other tests and imaging studies can be ordered through the PinnacleHealth or Holy Spirit health systems.
- All students must have a basic understanding of how their insurance works, i.e.:
- What services are covered when traveling "out-of-network?"
- Are referrals from a home-town primary care provider needed prior to basic lab tests or x-rays ordered by the college health service?
- The college health service cannot bill insurance, but we will provide an itemized receipt that students may submit to their insurance company to request reimbursement.