SAFETY AND DECORATING GUIDELINES
FOR MESSIAH COLLEGE
The following procedures were established to insure the safety of all students and employees on campus. These procedures pertain to both campus residences and academic buildings. College staff conducts safety inspections to insurance compliance with these safety procedures.
- No live cut trees, branches, hay, straw, or similar materials is permitted
- Tampering with fire safety system (including extinguishers, strobe lights, horns, bells, smoke and heat detectors, fire sprinklers, hoses, valves, or emergency lights) is NEVER tolerated and may result in a fine of up to $500
- All exit signs and doors must be visible from any point in hallways or stairways
- Hallway floors must be free of obstructions and safety illuminated at all times
- No live animals permitted in buildings on campus
- Pillars of wax may be used for decorations, but open flames, candles, or incense are strictly prohibited
- Spray painting on walls and decorative frosting on windows, doors and walls is not permitted
- Ceiling tiles are to remain in intact and in the original position in the ceiling.
ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING:
- Hallway lighting may not be altered by covering lenses or light sensors and may not be completely blocked out
- Light fixtures are to remain closed at all times
- All lights are to be turned off or unplugged when room or area is unoccupied
- A surge protector power strip or extension cord is to be used to prevent electrical outlet overload; 3 strings of lights end-to-end are the limit
- Cords may not run under carpeting or throw rugs
- Only low-temperature UL approved mini-lights are permitted
- Mini lights are to be hung with appropriate plastic hooks (ceiling grid plastic hooks available in bookstore)
- Keep all lights away from flammable materials
- Lights are only to be used in rooms and lounges and are prohibited in showers, restrooms, stairwells, elevators, and across metal doorways/thresholds
- No exterior lighting of any kind is permitted, other than what the Building & Property Services staff puts up
- Inspect all cords for breaks, etc. prior to using them
- Covering of wall outlets, switches, or electrical panels is not permitted
DECORATIONS (other than electrical):
- Colored filters (plastic or cloth) may be applied to the outside only of ceiling fixtures to color the light in rooms
- Keep decorative wall coverings to a minimum
- Toilet paper and/or paper towels are to be used for their intended purpose and not for decorating
- All decorations must be kept a minimum of 3 feet away from any fire safety system (extinguishers, strobe lights, detectors, sprinklers, etc.)
- Christmas decorations in residence halls/lounges may be put up after Thanksgiving recess, but must be taken down and properly disposed of prior to students leaving for Christmas break. Decorations in academic and office areas are to be removed before leaving for the Christmas holiday.
Any residential floor or apartment participating in the “Deck the Halls” contest MUST have their holiday decorations pre-approved by their Residence Director.