In the News
Specifically, President Kim Phipps is contributing her scholarship and expertise to increase Messiah College’s visibility in the following ways:
- Christianity Today names President Phipps one of "50 Women You Should Know" in its October 2012 cover story.
- The July 2012 issue of "Business Woman" features President Phipps on its cover and includes an in-depth interview inside.
- In January 2012 President Phipps was invited by the Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) to present at the "Lessons from Thriving Colleges" conference. President Phipps spoke to more than 100 college presidents about "Courageous and Collaborative Leadership."
- The Asian Beacon, a contemporary Christian magazine based in Malaysia, profiles President Phipps' spring 2011 visit to the Pacific Rim in their August-September issue.
article · guest column
- In May 2011, President Phipps began her role as a community columnist for the Harrisburg Patriot-News. She maintained the column in the op-ed section for six months.
- May, 2011: A college degree pays in the long run
- June, 2011: College students, alumni lend helping hand to better Harrisburg
- July, 2011: What happened to civil dialogue?
- August, 2011: Enjoy your college freshman's transformation, but don't overdo it
- September, 2011: Saving environment has become serious business
- October, 2011: Division III student-athletes show they are true sports
- A March 14, 2010 Harrisburg Patriot-News article examined the backgrounds and lives of several prominent mid-state women, including President Phipps who discussed the value of mentoring among female leaders as well as the important perspective women can provide in team decision-making.
- In an age when many young people rely on irony to offset the world’s inability to conduct authentic and civil conversation, it is more important than ever, says Messiah President Kim Phipps, for colleges and universities to counter such cynicism by “demonstrating an ability to listen, learn and proactively respond.” Phipps writes, “Humble listening and bold truth-telling can lead to dramatic transformations” after citing the Biblical example of Jesus’ encounter with the Samaritan woman. The column appeared in the Fall 2009 issue of "Advance," the newsletter of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU).
- President Kim Phipps and Provost Randy Basinger co-wrote an op-ed for the October 11, 2009 Harrisburg Patriot-News that highlights the College’s active engagement in the Harrisburg region for 100 years.
- A blogger from University Business magazine examined what college presidents are reading during the summer months. Messiah’s own Kim Phipps weighed in with a few of the titles on her nightstand in 2009.
- In 2009 “Women-CONNECT” magazine profiled President Kim Phipps among other female leaders in higher education in their summer issue. Phipps shares in the article about her early exposure to injustice and how that helped to shape her passion for hospitality and her love for higher education. The article closes with, “The compelling vision that Dr. Phipps articulates for Messiah College provides our region with a template for improving our community. Her concept of hospitality has energy and action behind it….It inspires each one of us to take responsibility to create an environment in our learning institutions, communities, and homes, to actively welcome and value each other.”
- A March 30, 2009 Harrisburg Patriot-News story about assertiveness training and confidence building among young women shares President Kim Phipps’ thoughts about the challenges of being an assertive, yet nurturing, female leader. Phipps is noted as an example of a successful local leader.
For a summary of the many local, regional, and national media mentions of Messiah College faculty, staff, students, and alumni, visit Media Mentions.