Special Interest Houses for Juniors & Seniors
Information & (the link to the) Application
There are 8 houses on and around the perimeter of campus where students can live together and learn about a common theme of their choosing. Please take a minute to check out the philosophy behind the special interest houses. There are some house themes that have been around for a few (or several) years and there are house themes that change every year. One way to become familiar with life in a special interest house is to watch the videos that the current house residents have made. We invite you to apply to live in a special interest house.
There are two ways to apply for a special interest house. Both applications need to be submitted by March 8, 2013
- If you're interested in applying for a program that has been in extistence for several years you need to apply as an individual and you can find those applications by following the links below. If a program is not listed then a group proposal (explained in #2) must be submitted.
Restoration Houses (both male & female applicants)
S.a.L.T. House (in Harrisburg)
Social Justice "SoJo" House
- If you have a group, an idea for a theme and an advisor please fill out the proposal form by March 8, 2013. If the house theme you are interested in pursuing is or has been in existence in the past you may contact Rhonda King to get a copy of the proposal that have been previously submitted.
What are the expectations of each member of the house?
- House members meet with a Residence Life staff member the day before the first day of class and at the end of each semester (any time there are all hall meetings in the residence halls/apartments).
- Members are to follow Messiah College policies and procedures, the Community Covenant and the House Contract.
- Applicants and house members are not allowed to be on any probations (academic, disciplinary or chapel).
- Residents of the house participate together in discussion groups and hands-on practice related to the theme of the house.
- Advisor meets individually with a house member once a month and attends group meetings/visits at the house when possible
- Residents of the house submit a 5-7 minute video about their learnings, due in December 2013. These videos will be used to help with the recruitment of students for the next year.
- Submit a written semester summary in February 2014 submitted to house advisor and Assistant Director for Special Interest Housing, Ashley Sheaffer.
To apply for an established house:
These house applications are online and you may apply by following the links:
Application, Resources & Floor Plans:
House Floor Plans & Information (All In PDF Format)