Spanish Business at Messiah College
The demand for Spanish-speaking, business-savvy professionals is expected to grow.
If you’re interested in polishing your Spanish language skills so you can use them in a business setting, then consider Messiah College’s Spanish business major. Our program fully prepares you to meet the growing global demand for individuals with a strong background in business and high proficiency in a second language. We offer a challenging curriculum, a nationally ranked study abroad program, and local internships that give you countless opportunities to use and sharpen your Spanish and business skills.
Spanish (business) major distinctives
As a Spanish major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Participate in three-week cross-cultural trips to Ecuador and Spain.
- Use your Spanish skills in community service and volunteer opportunities.
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance, and courses that consider the political, social and cultural histories of the Spanish-speaking people.
- Use our state-of-the-art language laboratory (the Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory) that offers you the ability to improve your listening comprehension, speaking and pronunciation skills in Spanish.
- The globalization of markets has created a need for managers with business acumen who are skilled in the intricacies of a second language and culture.
Career options for Spanish (business) majors
As a graduate of the Spanish (business) program, students are equipped to secure positions in industries such as:
- International business
- Mission and international service fields
- Positions in community organizations with international ties
- Graduate school to further specialize in business or Spanish
- Domestic businesses with Hispanic clientele
Internship opportunities for Spanish (business) majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of Spanish (business) internships. A few examples include:
- Healthcare agencies
- Education facilities
- Social work agencies
- International opportunities
The Spanish business major is sponsored by the Department of Modern Languages and the Department of Management and Business. It offers a core business curriculum and weaves second language study throughout the entire four years. Special attention is given to developing a cultural understanding with direct experience in Latin America.
The Spanish business major was created in response to a very real need in the business and industrial sectors. Demand for applicants with business skills who can speak Spanish and who have a good understanding of the cultures of South and Central America and Spain has multiplied in recent years. This demand is expected to continue to grow as new international trade agreements are made, particularly in our American hemisphere.
Your courses in subjects such as business, Spanish language, literature, history and politics, led by committed Christian faculty who have lived and worked among Spanish-speaking peoples, will complement your cross-cultural experiences.
Why Spanish business?
The major is attractive to students interested primarily in business and who understand the advantages that knowledge of Spanish brings to their credentials. Of course, it is also a good option for those who have a passion for the Spanish language and Hispanic literature and culture and who recognize the advantages of a combination of this knowledge with a high-demand business degree.
Study abroad requirement
While at Messiah, you’ll study for a full semester at the Universidad Pontifical de Valparaíso in Chile as part of the International Studies Abroad (ISA) program. You’ll immerse yourself in the culture as you live with a Spanish family.
After completing your Spanish business degree, you’ll be ready to embark on your next step in industries like international business, mission and international service fields, community organizations with international ties, or even graduate school. Whether chiefly interested in business or Spanish, you’ll be well prepared to enter an exciting international career.