Reduce your carbon footprint
- Consider reducing shower time.
- Invest in a reusable, stainless steel water bottle instead of using plastic water bottles.
- Buy a travel mug for hot drinks instead of using disposable cups.
- Shop for clothes at consignment/thrift stores and yard sales.
- Donate your gently used clothing to local thrift stores.
- Consider using the refrigerator and microwave in the residence hall lounge instead of bringing your own
- Opt for compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Utilize the College’s Ride Share program (provide website).
- Recycle! Be thoughtful about how you sort your trash to make certain items than can be recycled are being put in the appropriate receptacles.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- If you’re able-bodied, open doors manually instead of using the button for the automatic doors.
- Turn your computer off at night.
- Unplug appliances/chargers when they’re not in use.
- Buy groceries from local farmer’s markets and roadside stands.
- Encourage your friends to do what you’re doing!
- Always opt for items with less packaging.
- Consider using paperclips (reusable) rather than staples.
- Save and reuse gift wrap. Consider using fabric, newspapers, magazines for a creative wrap.
- Utilize canvas bags when shopping.
- Walk or bike as much as you can.
- Replace single-use alkaline batteries with rechargeable batteries.
- Clean out your car trunk. Cars are more efficient the lighter they are.
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room.
- Air-dry clothes.
- Use cloth napkins and rags instead of paper napkins and paper towels.
- Only do laundry when you have a full load.
- Walk or bike when you can.