Theatre at Messiah College
Experience the full breadth of theatrical experiences on and off campus.
At Messiah College, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to express and enhance your artistic gifts both on and off campus. With our close proximity to cultural centers such as the State Capital of Harrisburg, Lancaster, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and even New York City, Messiah’s theatre majors gain exposure to a broad range of acting, directing, and technical production experiences, techniques and internships.
On campus, you’ll delve into a rigorous exploration of historic and contemporary theatre practice within a vibrant liberal arts tradition, including a robust six-production season of contemporary and classic plays produced each year. You’ll be challenged to explore the intersections between Christian faith and theatre and engage theatre as a forum of civic dialogue.
Our team of faculty mentors, who are also practicing performers, playwrights , producers, and technicians, will work alongside you to cultivate your intellect and imagination through acting, directing, producing, critique, set-design, and more!
Theatre major distinctives
As a Theatre major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Choose from three different areas of interest: acting, directing and technical production and design.
- Get hands-on experience in the production process.
- Create a Senior Capstone Project—a portfolio-building project representing the culmination of your training and serving as a bridge to graduate programs, professional theatre, and other career opportunities.
- Learn how to engage theatre as a forum for civic dialogue.
- Gain knowledge in a broad range of theatrical genres, historic movements and critical theories.
- Collaborate with educational and artistic initiatives throughout Central Pennsylvania and at the national level.
- Study with faculty who are practicing performers, directors, designers and technicians.
- Have the opportunity to participate in Alpha Delta Delta, Messiah's chapter of the theatre honors society and Alpha Psi Omega, which sponsors the student-run Rogue Theatre Festival each spring.
Career options for theatre majors
As a graduate of the theatre program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Light or sound coordinator
- Costume director
- Community arts activist
- Set designer
- Stage technician
For more information on career planning for the theatre program, visit the Messiah College Career Center.
Internship opportunities for theatre majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of theatre internships. A few examples include:
- Open Stage of Harrisburg
- Manhattan Theatre Club
- Arden Theatre, Philadelphia
- Sight & Sound Theatre, Lancaster
- New Jersey Shakespeare Festival
- Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble
- Touchstone Theatre Ensemble, Bethlehem, Pa.
- London Internships
Learn more about the Department of Theatre and Dance
- Faculty direct, design and perform locally and across the country as well as work with a variety of theatre companies.
- Calvin and Janet High Center for Worship and Performing Arts features the Grace Pollock Dance Studio, a state-of-the-art dance studio and Poorman Black Box Theater for smaller theatre performances.
- On-campus, 400-seat proscenium-style performance theatre - watch the video tour.
- On-site costume and properties storage
- On-campus dance studio
- Associate member of the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, a national theater program involving 18,000 students from colleges and universities nationwide
- Associate member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre