Digital marketing certificate (undergraduate) at Messiah University
With digital technology increasing at a rapid rate and a significant part of marketing now occurring online, companies need marketers who can keep up with quickly evolving trends.
Through Messiah’s undergraduate digital marketing certificate program, you’ll study topics like social media marketing, digital advertising, content marketing, search engine optimization, email, web development and analytics. You’ll also learn personal branding and online reputation management to jump start and manage your career.
You will identify a process for integrating social media and digital strategies into advertising, public relations and other business operations. Strategies for monitoring and engaging consumers will be applied while you investigate how channels like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube help companies meet real business objectives. In most courses you learn by doing, analyzing marketing practices of real organizations, offering recommendations for improvement.
- Study in a program that has been named a “Business College of Distinction” by Colleges of Distinction for 2020-2021.
- Digital marketers are in great demand. A certificate in digital marketing will make you more employable by advertising, PR and digital firms, plus small businesses and large corporations.
- It’s not just for business majors. This 12-credit certificate means that you can fit it into most undergraduate major coursework.
- There are no course prerequisites. (The first class—Marketing Principles—is your prerequisite.)
- Be assured of academic quality. Messiah’s Department of Business is accredited through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- It’s a unique program. Only 2 percent of accredited marketing programs in the U.S. offer the advanced level of digital marketing preparation Messiah offers (according to a study in Journal of Marketing Education).
- Prove your expertise. You will demonstrate job-ready skills easily displayed in LinkedIn profiles, websites and resumes.
With a certificate in digital marketing, you will be equipped to secure positions such as:
- Content specialist
- Digital marketing specialist or manager
- Marketing manager
- Media coordinator
- SEO specialist
- Social media manager
Average salaries for digital marketers can start at $50K for a social media specialist to $133K for an eCommerce director. For more information on career planning in digital marketing, visit the Messiah University Career and Professional Development Center.
The undergraduate digital marketing certificate is designed to help current students obtain knowledge of in-demand marketing skills that will enable them to obtain new employment opportunities or improve performance in a current position. It is an excellent complement to majors within the Department of Business, but students in other disciplines will benefit from the digital marketing certificate, as well.
Currently enrolled, degree-seeking students may declare the digital marketing certificate by going to the Registrar’s Office (first floor, Old Main) during regular business hours. It must be declared before completion of your undergraduate degree and is not retroactive for alumni of Messiah.
Why digital marketing?
Digital marketing impacts many professions, fields of discipline, companies and organizations. It is a special skill area of marketing that is in high demand and represents a significant skills gap in current marketers. A 2018 Marketing Hiring Trends Report indicates that 69 percent of marketing leaders are hiring more marketers, 59 percent of those hiring want digital marketers, but only 19 percent of people with those skills are looking for jobs. The digital marketing certificate program is designed to fill that 30 percent digital skills gap.
Obtaining a digital marketing certificate will increase your employability throughout your career. By remaining relevant to the changes in professional practices and in-demand skills, you’ll be prepared for success in important positions that bring church and society together.