Below is a list of common questions had by Messiah parents. Don't see the answer to your question? Please contact us at (717) 796-5252 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Please refer to the Campus Calendar for specific holiday dates. Check with your student regarding when tests, finals, papers and important lectures are scheduled prior to making arrangements. We do encourage you to make your travel arrangements early, especially during the holidays, so your student leaves and arrives to campus at the appropriate times.
Parents are an important part of any student's Move-In Day experience and are always encouraged to take part in as much of the day's activities as possible. Not only will you be an encouragement to your student but you will have the opportunity to learn a lot about Messiah as well!
What address should be used to send mail/packages to students on campus?
[First Name] [Last Name]
1 University Avenue
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
How does my student know when they have mail or a package?
The Campus Store will notify them by email. They must bring their student ID and/or the email with them to claim their mail or package. The email must come from the Campus Store, NOT from USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, etc. Carriers often send notices before the store receives/processes deliveries.
Will their Messiah ID card be required to pick up mail and packages?
Yes. They will be asked to present their Messiah University ID Card when picking up mail and packages.
Click here for more mail FAQ's.
What if I have more questions?
You can e-mail the Campus Store at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the website for the Office of Financial Aid to learn about possible Financial Aid opportunities.
Each residence hall room and each campus apartment bedroom has only 1 live network jack. The majority of network jacks are marked with a big black C. If it is not marked, the live jack is normally the one opposite the phone jack. In the apartments, a network jack is available in each bedroom only. The jack in the living room is for the phone only.
The Office of Alumni & Parent Relations is available to address concerns that parents may have and to provide services while their student is at Messiah. Parent Relations may be reached at (717) 796-5252 or at email@example.com.
Special events are planned for parents during Welcome Week and also during Family Weekend in September. Visit Student Involvement and Leadership Programs for more information on these important events.
Parents may also order special gift cards for their students.
Please refer to the Academic Calendar for specific holiday dates for each academic year. The College is closed on the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday and Easter. Classes are not in session on Service Day in April, however students are strongly encouraged to participate in on or off campus service projects that day.
Many items your student may need can be purchased at the Campus Store. Stores in close proximity to campus include: CVS, Weis, Giant, Staples, Capital City Mall, Walmart, Target, Kohls, and more.
There are many churches local to campus of varying denominations, styles of worship, etc. For a list of local churches visit the College Ministries Local Churches page.
While almost all student needs can be met here on campus, there are several options for students on campus without a vehicle:
- Break Shuttle/Transportation: The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Programs (SILP) offers a free shuttle transportation to the Harrisburg Transportation Center (Amtrak, Greyhound Lines, Fullington Trailways, Susquehanna Trailways, the Harrisburg International Airport and the Harrisburg MegaBus lot). Click here to learn more.
- Church Transportation: Messiah College encourages all students to connect with local churches. College Ministries maintains a database of local churches on its website. The database lists many churches in the Greater Harrisburg area as well as those that provide transportation for Messiah College students.
In case of emergency, please visit the College's online crisis communication hub. Other methods of communication the college may use in case of emergency include:
- Social media, primarily Facebook and Twitter
- Emergency blog
- Emergency hotline- (717) 691-6084
Messiah’s school colors are blue and white. The mascot is Fandango the Falcon. For more information about Messiah athletics visit www.gomessiah.com. To order Messiah insignia items, visit our Campus Store.
No. Due to a federal privacy regulation called FERPA, only students are given their grade report. FERPA requires a signed written release authorizing the disclosure of an education record to a parent(s) or legal guardian. Without this signed release, the College cannot share information from a student's education record.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
- The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
To learn more about FERPA click here.
The Engle Center for Counseling and Health Services provides students with on campus support for the physical health and emotional well-being. Counseling Services offers individual or group counseling which is provided to our students confidentially and free of charge. Our full service health center is staffed with a full time family practice certified nurse practitioner and five registered nurses. We provide comprehensive chronic and urgent care for Messiah students including: management of prescription medications, travel health, physical exams, bloodwork, immunizations and provide orders for xrays and referrals. In addition, we have a physical therapist and dietician on staff. For more information about services, costs, hours, wellness and more, visit our homepage.
- Online Health Form - can be filled out through the student portal page, if you have any questions please contact the Engle Center.
- Physical Exam Form - a physical exam must be performed by your primary care provider within 1 year for all incoming students and within 6 months for intercollegiate athletes. The physical exam form can be found at bottom of the PREEXAM QUESTION TAB on the Online Health Form or on the Engle Center Website.
- TB Screening - All students MUST complete the TB screening form on the Online Health Form. If there are any YES answers, PRINT THE FORM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE and take it, along with your physical form to your health care provider. YOU WILL NEED A TB TEST PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL ON CAMPUS.
- IMMUNIZATIONS - Proof of the following immunizations are REQUIRED prior to your arrival on campus: MMR, Tdap, Meningitis. Immunizations must be entered online AND a COPY OF YOUR IMMUNIZATION RECORD must be sent for validation.
- Because ALL students are required to have insurance, ALL STUDENTS ARE AUTOMATICALLY SIGNED UP FOR AND CHARGED for THE SCHOOL INSURANCE (approximately $1,341/yr). You may use your own insurance, but the benefits must be equal to or greater than the benefits provided by the school insurance. http://www.collegiateinsuranceresources.com/sip/health_ins_registration.asp?assnid=867
Visit our Commencement information page to learn more about Commencement ceremonies at Messiah College.