Veritas Christian Study Abroad: Paris
The city of light is host to Veritas' study abroad program in France. Students take classes at either The Catholic University of Paris or the American Business School Paris. Courses are available in both French and English. In this faith-based study program, students will participate in an International Missions/Service Learning Practicum as part of their program.
Additional Information available at Veritas Paris.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
New Before You Go - Challenges
Off-Campus study is a time of challenge and change. The following are some things you should understand about this program before you participate:
- Parisians are generally not as accustomed to accommodating mental health needs related to learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, etc.
- Students should be prepared to walk quite a bit.
- Students with physical disabilities will likely find that the city (and country in general) is not as accessible as they may be used to at home (i.e. lack of elevators in buildings/métros, older, cobblestone streets, etc.).
- The language barrier can be difficult in Paris, and students may perceive a less welcoming climate if they do not speak the language (at least basics/pleasantries).
- There are often strikes in Paris that may affect transportation, housing, academics, etc.
- The French are much more open about discussing or even arguing about provocative issues such as politics.
- Most buildings in Paris will not have air conditioning.
Courses may meet general education or major requirements.
Courses will come back on your transcript with a letter grade
During their college careers, students may take a maximum of four courses on a pass/fail (P/F) basis with these conditions:
-Such a course must be from a discipline other than those required for the student's major or minor.
-Courses fulfilling requirements for a major, minor, or general education may not be used.
-Students may declare their intention to take a course under the Pass/Fail option when they register or through the first calendar week of classes at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grade system during this same time period. The selection cannot be changed after the first calendar week of classes.
-The cut-off point to obtain a P is C–.
-The instructor will submit only conventional letter grades to the Registrar's Office. This office will then convert the grade to P or F. (An instructor does not know which students are taking a course on a pass/fail basis.
Note: Students must declare their intention to take a course under the pass/fail option when they register or during the first FIVE DAYS days at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grading system during this same time period. The selection on record after the first week of classes cannot be changed.
Because of the high cost of this program, participation is capped at 9 students per academic year.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
- tuition, housing, breakfast and five dinner meals weekly for students in homestays
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
- Students choosing apartment housing will also be required to place a $750 refundable deposit directly to ISA. Meals are not included in this option.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from this program.
Credit Limit Policy for Semester-Long, Off-Campus Program
Typically when students study off-campus in Messiah-approved, semester-long programs, students earn between 13 and 18 credits. All students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits.
The tuition/fees charged for Messiah’s approved study abroad programs permits a student to complete 12-18 credits. Messiah College will process up to 18 credits. If a student completes more than 18 credits and would like the additional credits applied to their transcript, additional tuition will be charged for credits over 18 and would be assessed after the official transcript is received/processed by Messiah.
Updated 08 March 2018
*Note: Off-campus study fee increases annual at the same rate as the yearly tuition increase.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
Veritas: Paris Deadline
- Fall - April 1
- Spring - October
Program and Travel Resources
|Did You Know?|
Parisian cafés post three tiers of prices: one for standing at the counter, one for sitting indoors, and one—the most expensive—for sitting outside.
Parisians refer to the Eiffel Tower as "The Metal Asparagus".
France is 6 hours ahead of US eastern standard time.
About 10 percent of France's countryside has been designated national parkland.