Students who study with any of Messiah's approved off campus study programs will receive letter grades for their academic courses.
The same pass/fail policy applies for students who are studying off campus as for those who are studying in Grantham (see policy outlined below).
The following conversion is used to assign grades for coursework completed at Acces:
|Acces||US Grade Equivalent|
Courses may meet major or general education requirements.
Courses will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
During their university careers, students may take a maximum of four courses on a pass/fail (P/F) basis with these conditions:
- Such a course must be from a discipline other than those required for the student's major or minor.
- Courses fulfilling requirements for a major, minor, or general education may not be used.
- Students may declare their intention to take a course under the Pass/Fail option when they register or through the first calendar week of classes at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grade system during this same time period. The selection cannot be changed after the first calendar week of classes.
- The cut-off point to obtain a P is C–.
- The instructor will submit only conventional letter grades to the Registrar's Office. This office will then convert the grade to P or F. (An instructor does not know which students are taking a course on a pass/fail basis.
The first FIVE DAYS of your classes are critical:
Recognizing that courses change while abroad, a student is required to communicate to the Registrar’s Office within the first FIVE DAYS of classes if their Off-Campus Course Approval Form in Terra Dotta has changed since the original submission/approval. Specifically, if a student desires to change a course to a pass/fail instead of a letter grade, this must be approved by Messiah University Registrar’s Office within the first FIVE DAYS of classes at the host partner program.
Students are required to take no fewer than 12 credits towards their overall degree requirements and no more than 18 credits. These 12-18 credits include courses taken as pass/fail and letter grades. However, in addition to those 12-18 degree credits, students who would like to audit an academic course for no credit are permitted to do so for up to one 4 credit hour course for the sake of learning, cultural immersion or personal interest at no additional charge. This audited course will not appear on the Messiah University student’s transcript.