Rooting toward our vision…
Grounds Services Mission:
"Grounds Services supports the mission of Messiah College and strives to provide service to the community through proper stewardship of the campus environment, making it safe, functional and beautiful. Through co-operative teamwork, we provide quality customer service and hospitality for outdoor activities and projects."
The Grounds Services department is responsible for the care of 475 acres of land. This land is made up of developed and undeveloped land, landscaped areas around buildings, green space, athletic fields, outlying fields and satellite properties. The department utilizes a zonal maintenance system by assigning specific zones to crew leaders. The campus is divided into 5 distinct zones of care. Additional assignments are: sports turf crew leader, grounds mechanic, and herbaceous plant specialist.
Responsibilities of Section Crew Leaders:
Weekly routine maintenance of grounds to include mowing, weed whipping, landscaping, tree care, fall leaf clean up, snow removal and grounds waste recycling program.
Responsibilities of the Sports Turf Crew Leader:
• All of Starry Complex and Rec-sports Fields: Over 30 Acres and 10 fields (4 game, 4 practice, and 2 rec.)
• Annual turf management program on all fields (fertilization, core aerification, irrigation, seeding, and topdressing)
• Paint and prepare fields for all regular season and playoff games
• 6 private tennis courts (Criste Courts) and 3 public courts
• Set up and prepare fields for Summer Camps, Special Olympics, and Commencement
• Bon-fire preparations
• Creek side picnics
Responsibilities of the Herbaceous Plant Specialist:
• Cares for the Annual hanging baskets
• Looks after indoor plants on campus
• Takes care of annual and perennial flowers on campus (planning, purchasing, planting, irrigating, and fertilizing)
Responsibilities of the Grounds Mechanic:
• Repair and maintenance on all grounds tractors, utility vehicles, and equipment
• In charge of the 5 TOC's (temporary on-call) mowers, oversees campus wide mowing program, and special projects on campus and construction or renovation of equipment for different departments on campus
• Exterior signage and banners. Please view our Signage Policy and Procedure by clicking here.
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Lenhert Building
One College Avenue Suite 3001
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055