Theatre at Messiah College
Experience the full breadth of theatrical experiences on and off campus.
While earning your Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A.) in theatre at Messiah College, a top private Christian college in the U.S., you’ll have plenty of opportunities to express and enhance your artistic gifts both on and off campus. Within the theatre major, you will choose a concentration in acting, directing, or technical production and design. As an audition-based program, all applicants seeking admission to the Department of Theatre and Dance must audition or interview with the department’s faculty.
With Messiah’s close proximity to cultural centers of Harrisburg, Lancaster, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and even New York City, theatre majors gain exposure to a broad range of acting, directing and technical production experiences.
Theatre major distinctives
As a Theatre major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Choose from three different areas of interest: acting, directing and technical production and design.
- Get hands-on experience in the production process.
- Create a Senior Capstone Project—a portfolio-building project representing the culmination of your training and serving as a bridge to graduate programs, professional theatre, and other career opportunities.
- Learn how to engage theatre as a forum for civic dialogue.
- Gain knowledge in a broad range of theatrical genres, historic movements and critical theories.
- Collaborate with educational and artistic initiatives throughout Central Pennsylvania and at the national level.
- Study with faculty who are practicing performers, directors, designers and technicians.
- Have the opportunity to participate in Alpha Delta Delta, Messiah's chapter of the theatre honors society and Alpha Psi Omega, which sponsors the student-run Rogue Theatre Festival each spring.
Career options for theatre majors
As a graduate of the theatre program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Light or sound coordinator
- Costume director
- Community arts activist
- Set designer
- Stage technician
For more information on career planning for the theatre program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for theatre majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of theatre internships. A few examples include:
- Open Stage of Harrisburg
- Manhattan Theatre Club
- Arden Theatre, Philadelphia
- Sight & Sound Theatre, Lancaster
- New Jersey Shakespeare Festival
- Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble
- Touchstone Theatre Ensemble, Bethlehem, Pa.
- London Internships
Messiah College offers a rigorous exploration of historic and contemporary theatre practice within a vibrant liberal arts tradition. Our curriculum includes applied studio courses in acting, directing, and technical production and design as well as course work in dramatic literature, theatre history and theory.
Put what you learn into practice
Each year the theatre major applies classroom and studio knowledge to a robust six-production season of contemporary and classic plays. You’ll be challenged to explore the intersections between Christian faith and theatre and engage theatre as a forum of civic dialogue.
As an undergraduate, you will have the opportunity to participate in Alpha Delta Delta, Messiah's chapter of the theatre honors society and Alpha Psi Omega, which sponsors the student-run Rogue Theatre Festival each spring.
Learn from experienced professionals
Our team of faculty mentors, who are also practicing performers, playwrights, producers, and technicians, will work alongside you to cultivate your intellect and imagination through acting, directing, producing, critique, set-design, and more!