Disclaimer

Certain wood decay fungi are edible. Others are toxic and some are deadly. Individual allergic reactions are always possible even with mushrooms generally considered safe. While every effort has been made to provide accurate information regarding edibility, where such information is appropriate, the primary purpose of this web site is to identify wild mushrooms growing on wood, not to guide the user to edible wild mushrooms. If the user chooses to eat wild mushrooms, doing so is at his or her own risk. Neither the author nor the Oakes Museum or Messiah College is responsible for decisions made as a result of using the keys and information found at this site. It is the responsibility of the individual to know for certain which species are edible or poisonous. One of the very best ways of gaining this knowledge is by joining a local mushroom club. The North American Mycological Association (NAMA) maintains links to local clubs throughout the country.

Me | Dr. Leonard Fergus | Acknowledgements

Using keys | Glossary | Species inclusion criteria | Why wood decay fungi ?
References | Help me improve the site | Disclaimer

Home | Introduction | Shape Key

This page © 2008 by Gary Emberger, Messiah College