Exploring Careers in Healthcare - Summer Day Camp
The dates for Messiah University's Summer 2024 Exploring Careers in Healthcare day camp will be June 10-12, 2024. Registration will be open to students entering 10th - 12th grade in Fall 2024. The day camp will be held on Messiah University’s beautiful main campus just 12 miles from Harrisburg and at our nearby Winding Hills campus.
Healthcare careers provide a sense of personal fulfillment for individuals looking to make a difference in lives every day. In addition, healthcare is one of the fastest growing sectors in the U.S. job market with over 2.6 million new jobs expected by 2030 (Bureau of Labor Statistics). There are a wide variety of job options in the health field to fit many different interests and skill sets. Our camp is designed for students to explore some of the most dynamic healthcare professions – such as nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, applied health science and nutrition and dietetics – by engaging in hands-on activities in state-of-the-art facilities with expert faculty, students and professional practitioners.
Our camp will focus on patient case studies to provide context for activities, demonstrations and discussions relevant to various fields of practice and also to help us understand the interprofessional nature of healthcare – how the many healthcare disciplines interact and work together to promote and restore patient health. In addition to the technical dimensions of each field, an emphasis on the ethics of patient care will be an integral part of our exploration.
- Engage in hands-on learning activities and demonstrations related to a variety of healthcare professions including, but not limited to:
- State-of-the-art nursing simulations
- Anatomy of the human brain and internal organs in human anatomy lab (optional)
- Functional movement analysis
- Metabolism, sport nutrition, and foods investigation
- Exercise and blood pressure response analysis
- Training in CPR with feedback simulator
- Biodex balance and concussion protocol
- Splint making and Activities of Daily Living training
- Interact with and learn from current Messiah University faculty, students and healthcare practitioners.
- Learn about the courses and the extracurricular activities you should take in high school and college to be most competitive for healthcare professions.
- Explore the interconnections of a variety of healthcare fields to help you find a role that fits you.
- Learn how to integrate Christian faith with your interest in the healthcare professions.