This Graduate Assistant position is available on the campus at Bluffton University while enrolled in the online Graduate Program in Higher Education at Messiah College.
Position Title: Student Life Graduate Assistant
Institution: Bluffton University
Location: Bluffton, OH (1 mile off Interstate 75), 45 minutes south of Bowling Green
Size: Approximately 1000 students
Nature of Institution: Four year private, liberal arts university affiliated with Mennonite Church USA
The Graduate Assistant serves as a hall director in a residence hall of approximately 200 students. They direct a staff of approximately nine resident advisors and have responsibilities for the day-to-day operation of the hall. As a professional trainee, they are given additional responsibilities and opportunities for involvement in activities in other areas. Significant additional responsibilities are assumed during the second year. These responsibilities are mutually established by the GA and the Director of Residence Life. A more complete hall director position description is available and will be given to candidates during the interview process.
Graduate Hall Director Position Description
Position Summary The Student Life Graduate Assistant lives in an apartment in a residence hall and has the responsibility for creating a space where relationships can develop and grow. Supervising, supporting, and developing the RA staff is the chief role of the Graduate Hall Director. There is also the responsibility of the day-to-day operation of that hall. They have specific responsibilities such as distributing keys, maintaining safety procedures, working closely with personnel from Buildings and Grounds, supporting the objectives of Bluffton University and responding to student concerns.
- To create a space that can be an extension of the classroom. Creating an environment where discussions can continue seamlessly from classes and personal and relationship development can occur through intentional efforts of the RA.
- To ensure that students live according to the objectives of Bluffton University, the standards of conduct, the law, and the regulations stated in the Student Handbook.
- To bring awareness and encourage students to participate in the larger campus community.
- To be a support to students, especially when they find themselves in times of crisis, large or small.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create meaningful relationships through enduring conversations with each resident on the RA’s floor.
- Being regularly present in the building, this means having your apartment door open on a regular basis and spending significant time visible in the building.
- Supervise and empower resident advisors in their involvement on their floors and with their residents and helping them full embrace the vision of the department
- Be aware of concerns which students have and respond to these concerns in an appropriate time and manner
- Participate in RA recruitment and selection, move-in, retreats, and resident departures
- Participate in an on-call duty rotation and provide adequate staff coverage in the residence hall
- Be aware of the health needs of students. This includes assisting the students in finding a means of transportation to a physician or a hospital
- Work with the maintenance personnel in keeping the residence hall functional for the use of residents, present and future
- Know, interpret, teach, and enforce the standards of conduct and the Student Handbook regulations
- Complete special projects as delegated by the Director of Residence Life
Supervisors: Kevin Williams, Director of Residence Life
Time Off: Normal time off is twelve days per year plus vacation periods. Additional time off is given for conferences, workshops, etc.
Contract Dates: Position begins early-August and ends mid-May.
Compensation will include $8,800 for the academic year, a furnished apartment within a residence hall with paid utilities excluding long distance phone calls, a meal plan provided in Marbeck Center when classes are in session, a reserved parking space, an IBM compatible computer in the GA office, Internet, e-mail, laser printer, copier, and fax, and OCPA 2-Year membership and registration fees paid for annual OCPA Conference. Tuition discount for the Graduate Program in Higher Education online through Messiah College.
Applicants must be admitted into the Graduate Program in Higher Education (online) through Messiah College prior to being hired at Bluffton University.
Interested applicants, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Questions can be directed to Kevin Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tina Keul at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: You MUST begin your coursework at Messiah College in July.