Chinese Studies at Messiah College
Become knowledgeable, confident and competent in Chinese language, history and culture as a Chinese studies major at Messiah College.
This major helps you build a wide range of highly marketable skills that global–minded employers desire. Messiah’s Chinese studies major provides broad preparation in the Chinese language and culture while also giving you the flexibility to complete a second major—or even two minors—in other areas that interest you.You won’t simply read textbooks and attend class lectures to complete the course requirements for this major; you’ll have the unique opportunity to learn about the Chinese culture firsthand through an exciting semester of study abroad in China.
Chinese studies major distinctives
As a Chinese Studies major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Develop proficiency in another language.
- Spend a semester studying in China.
- Take nine credits of Chinese language courses and three to six credits of courses in Chinese culture or history conducted in English.
- Live among other international students in China where you can easily meet and interact with many Chinese students.
- Gain skills that are in high demand among many of today’s employers.
- Develop global awareness and cultural understanding through direct experiences in the Chinese culture.
- Prepare for a career as a translator or interpreter in secondary and higher education, missions, international business, law, journalism, government or the Foreign Service.
- Continue on to graduate school to specialize in Chinese, business, international studies and many other fields.
Career options for Chinese studies majors
As a graduate of the Chinese studies program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Government employee
Internship opportunities for Chinese studies majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of Chinese studies internships. A few examples include:
- Coming soon
Learn more about the Department of Modern Languages
The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
State-of-the-art technology with extensive language software is available in the Beatriz Howe language lab.
Modern language students take an intensive semester in Paris, France; Marburg, Germany; China; Valparaiso, Chile; or Barcelona, Spain.
Teaching certification is available in French, German and Spanish languages.
Language proficiency is evaluated according to the guidelines of the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
Students learn how to think and read critically, speak clearly and interact with others around the globe.
Professors lead cross-cultural courses, conduct research, publish and present papers nationally and internationally.
Among our professors is one who is a translator and interpreter; another who has transcribed books; and several who have studied, taught, traveled, worked and lived abroad.