- Film and Media Arts
Film and Media Arts
From classroom to clapboard, the film and media arts curriculum will immerse you in both the technical and creative aspects of the growing field of film and media production. This well-regarded program provides significant opportunities for internships at all levels of media production, and prepares you for a career in production, screenwriting, editing or cimematography.
The film and media arts major, which is currently seeking accreditation from NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design), is one of the few programs within the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) where you will master both film and high definition video production.You will further hone your professional skills and gain real-world experience through a required internship, which many students secure at a major film studio (Sony, Warner Brothers, Universal or Paramount) through Temple’s Los Angeles Film Studies Center. Student also have access to locally based internships.
As a film and media arts major at Messiah College, you'll be able to:
- Acquire training in digital editing, 16 mm film production, cinematography, basic directing and screen writing, lighting and sound; also explore documentary making, basic special effects and topics in new and digital media.
- Create your own films during your time as student, with the chance to potentially submit it for film festival consideration.
- Utilize a digital film editing lab with 16 top-tier iMac systems featuring the latest professional video and graphics software.
- Have access to multiple HD Cinema and DLSR cameras as well as 16mm motion picture cameras.
- Use a green screen studio with professional studio lighting and grip equipment.
- Practice voice-over and sound-effect recording in the soundproof booth.
- Decide to continue on to prestigious Master of Fine Arts programs in film (Temple University, Chapman University, American University).
- Learn from faculty members who are or have been professionals in their respective fields including a sports anchor, a digital media creator and a communication consultant.
This is one of the few programs within the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) where you will master both film and high definition video production.
|Department of Communication|
|Learn more about this department
|Numerous internships available locally in public relations, broadcasting, marketing, journalism and film.|
|Instructional facilities include Parmer Cinema, which features state-of-the-art projection equipment and review-room quality surround sound.|
|Messiah's student newspaper, yearbook, television and radio station have been brought together into a multimedia setting- The Pulse: Messiah College Media Hub addresses the changing landscape of the journalism field.|
|Digital editing labs|
|Professional equipment and space, including broadcast quality microphones, digital audio recorder, HD cinema and DLSR camera, a soundproof booth and green screen studio.
|Study with a professor who is also a part-time sports anchor; one who regularly publishes and present research through the Society for Cinema and Media Scholars; or another who has served as a communication consultant.|