Mission of the Department of Psychology
The mission of the Messiah College Department of Psychology is to educate its students in the theoretical, empirical, and applied areas of psychology on a foundation that is informed and shaped by the Christian faith. Our graduates will be prepared for graduate school or the work force, equipped for lives of character, intellect, and Christian faith.
Goals of the Department of Psychology
In order to achieve its mission, the Department of Psychology has adopted the following goals, the first ten of which come from the American Psychological Association’s goals for students:
- Understanding the foundational content and conceptual/theoretical assumptions of psychology.
- Understanding the research process, including finding, analyzing and integrating previous research, as well as designing and executing original research.
- Gaining awareness of available practica, internships, entry level employment, and graduate level career opportunities in psychology related fields.
- Gaining an understanding of the cultural forces that shape peoples’ lives, including the powerful role of faith.
- Developing an understanding of the application of the APA Ethics Code, as well as personal and faith values to decision making within the field of Psychology.