Film and Media Arts at Messiah College
From classroom to clapboard, the film and media arts
curriculum will immerse you in both the technical and creative aspects
of the growing field of film and media production. This well-regarded
program provides significant opportunities for internships at all levels
of media production, and prepares you for a career in production,
screenwriting, editing or cinematography.
The film and media arts major, which is currently fully accredited by NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design), is one of the few programs within the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) where you will master both film and high definition video production.You will further hone your professional skills and gain real-world experience through a required internship, which many students secure at a major film studio (Sony, Warner Brothers, Universal or Paramount) through Temple’s Los Angeles Film Studies Center. Student also have access to locally based internships.
Film and media arts major distinctives
- Acquire training in digital editing, 16 mm film production, cinematography, basic directing and screen writing, lighting and sound; also explore documentary making, basic special effects and topics in new and digital media.
- Create your own films during your time as student with the potential to screen it at the College's annual Humanities Symposium; at "Splice," the annual juried student film festival; or even submit to local and national festivals for consideration.
- Utilize a digital film editing lab with 16 top-tier iMac systems featuring the latest professional video and graphics software.
- Have access to multiple HD Cinema and DLSR cameras as well as 16mm motion picture cameras.
- Use a green screen studio with professional studio lighting and grip equipment.
- Practice voice-over and sound-effect recording in the soundproof booth.
- Decide to continue on to prestigious Master of Fine Arts programs in film (Temple University, Chapman University, American University).
- Learn from faculty members who are or have been professionals in their respective fields including a sports anchor, a digital media creator and a communication consultant.
Career options for film and media arts majors
As a graduate of the film and media arts program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Independent screenwriter
- Production assistant
- Animation assistant
Internship opportunities for film and media arts majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of film and media arts internships. A few examples include:
- Warner Brothers
- JPL Creative in Harrisburg, Pa.
Learn more about the Department of Communication
Numerous internships available locally in public relations, media production, media management, marketing, journalism and film.
- Messiah's student newspaper, yearbook, television and radio station have
been brought together into a multimedia setting- The Pulse: Messiah
College Media Hub addresses the changing landscape of the journalism
- Professional equipment, including broadcast quality microphones, digital audio recorder, HD cinema and DLSR cameras and 16mm Motion Picture Cameras.
- Brand new instructional facilities which include digital editing labs, large studio space, fully equipped control room, green room, soundproof booth and foley studio.
- Access to Parmer Cinema, which features
state-of-the-art projection equipment and review-room quality surround
- Study with a professor who is also a part-time sports anchor; one who regularly publishes and present research through the Society for Cinema and Media Scholars; or another who has served as a communication consultant.