GO ED Mekong
The highlands of northern Thailand is home to GO ED Mekong, an intensive immersion program that allows students to explore “the root causes of exclusion and exploitation of marginalized people groups . . ” and to gain an “understanding of the relationship between exploitation and its root causes: poverty, discrimination, exclusion and violence.” The program fosters spiritual formation alongside academic courses. In additional to classroom instruction, students participate in service projects / internships with local NGOs.
More information available at GO ED.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Junior and senior status; will accept sophomore in extenuating circumstances
- 3.0 GPA
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
- Courses may meet general education or major requirements.
- Courses will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
- Students will meet their third language requirement by participating in this programs. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
Messiah tuition, room, board, and student services fee.
- tuition, housing, meals
- round-trip international airfare provided by GoEd
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees. The deposit is typically requested within two weeks of acceptance.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
GoED Mekong Deadlines
- Fall - April 15
- Spring - October 15