The city of light is host to ISA's three study abroad programs in Paris.
- The internationally known Sorbonne is the perfect place for French majors and strong language speakers to enhance their language skills while taking classes with French students.
- The Catholic University of Paris offers French language classes as well as courses in culture, art, theater, literature, communications, and history. Courses are taught in French and English depending on the specific course.
- Finally, students can choose to study at the American Business School Paris where courses primarily are taught in English. Students live with host families and participate in educational excursions with the program.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Juniors and seniors
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Students wishing to study at the Sorbonne or Catholic University must complete four semesters of college level French
- Students studying at American Business School should have foundational French language background
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
- Courses may meet general education or major requirements.
- Courses will come back on your transcript with a letter grade.
Because of the high cost of this program, participation is capped at 9 students per academic year.
Messiah tuition, room, board and student services fee plus $1,265 off-campus study fee*
- tuition, housing, breakfast and five dinner meals weekly for students in homestays
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
- Students choosing the extended semester option will pay an additional $1,000.
- Students choosing apartment housing will also be required to place a $750 refundable deposit directly to ISA. Meals are not included in this option.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from this program
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
*Note: Off-campus study fee increases annual at the same rate as the yearly tuition increase.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
ISA: Paris Deadline
- Fall - April 1
- Spring - October 15
Program and Travel Resources
|Did You Know?
Parisian cafés post three tiers of prices: one for standing at the counter, one for sitting indoors, and one—the most expensive—for sitting outside.
Parisians refer to the Eiffel Tower as "The Metal Asparagus".
France is 6 hours ahead of US eastern standard time.
About 10 percent of France's countryside has been designated national parkland.