London Internship Program
Live and work in Europe’s third largest city!
Explore possible career paths through a 10-week internship experience supplemented with academic study. Students gain valuable international work experience in a wide variety of organizations and companies and take classes taught by Arcadia faculty.
Learn more about Internship Options in London.
Discover the latest updates from the London Internship Program News.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
ELI - Faith Integration
It is important for Messiah College students to grow in their faith while studying abroad. Since the London Internship Program does not have a faith component, students will do the following as part of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements in partnership with their ELI Advisor:
- Prior to their experience, students will submit a 1-2-page plan outlining the prominent faith traditions of the country they will be studying in and outlining their plan for integrating and exploring their faith during their semester abroad.
- While abroad, students will electronically submit (in Terra Dotta) at least six journal entries (minimum two paragraphs each) on their personal faith journey in their cross-cultural context, which could include a comparative reflection on cultural practices of Christianity in the new culture (or absence of religious practices) versus their home culture. (ex. syncretism through cultural lenses; cultural views of Christ in wealth versus poverty; insights of faith drawn from another cultural point of view, etc.)
- Students who do not complete the above components will be placed on chapel probation the semester after they return.
Note; This is effective starting fall 2017.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Junior or seniors
- 2.8 GPA or higher
- The completion of three courses in an academic area that relates to the internship are required before participating in the program.
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
Courses may meet major or general education requirements.
Courses will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
During their college careers, students may take a maximum of four courses on a pass/fail (P/F) basis with these conditions:
-Such a course must be from a discipline other than those required for the student's major or minor.
-Courses fulfilling requirements for a major, minor, or general education may not be used.
-Students may declare their intention to take a course under the Pass/Fail option when they register or through the first calendar week of classes at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grade system during this same time period. The selection cannot be changed after the first calendar week of classes.
-The cut-off point to obtain a P is C–.
-The instructor will submit only conventional letter grades to the Registrar's Office. This office will then convert the grade to P or F. (An instructor does not know which students are taking a course on a pass/fail basis.
Note: Students must declare their intention to take a course under the pass/fail option when they register or during the first FIVE DAYS days at the beginning of the new term. Students may also select to return to the letter grading system during this same time period. The selection on record after the first week of classes cannot be changed.
Because of the high cost of this program, participation is capped at 9 students per academic year.
Messiah tuition, room, and student services fee plus $1,265 off-campus study fee*.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
- tuition, housing - meals are not included
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
STUDENTS WHO WISH TO TAKE COURSES AT UNIVERSITIES OTHER THAN ARCADIA WILL BE ASSESSED SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONAL FEES THAT WILL BE ADDED TO THEIR MESSIAH BILL AFTER THE PROGRAM BEGINS WHEN MESSIAH IS INVOICED BY ARCADIA.
Credit Limit Policy for Semester-Long, Off-Campus Program
Typically when students study off-campus in Messiah-approved, semester-long programs, students earn between 13 and 18 credits. All students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits; some programs require that students be enrolled in more. Students must complete the minimum credits required by the program.
In rare instances, students will be able to earn more than 18 credits off campus. If that occurs, students will be required to pay Messiah’s overload credit or whatever credit fee the program charges (whichever is higher) to Messiah for the additional course fees.
Students who audit classes on top of their regular course load will not incur additional fees unless the program charges for auditing courses whether students go over 18 credits or not.
*Note: Off-campus study fee increases annual at the same rate as the yearly tuition increase.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
London Internship Program Deadline
- Fall - April 1
- Spring - October 1
Program and Travel Resources
- British Council Pre-departure Guide
- British visas - FAQ
- Centers for Disease Control: England
- State Department: England
- State Department: Students Abroad
- UK Visa Information
- Worldwide Factbook: England