Sport Management at Messiah College
Prepare for a job in sport management—a growing field that combines your love of sports and interest in business.
The Bachelor of Arts in sport management degree offers you the opportunity to explore a broad based understanding of the primary areas of sport management. The sport management major is designed to prepare you to blend general management skills with the specific demands of managing sports organizations.
In Messiah’s sport management major, you’ll build a strong foundation in a number of key areas such as: management, finance, accounting, marketing, communication, ethics and legal aspects of business. Specific courses in sport management provide you with an understanding of the role of sport in society, the role of management in sport and the opportunities to apply your knowledge in sport-related organizations, all in a Christian learning environment.
Sport management major distinctives
As a Sport Management major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Earn up to 16 credits in practical experience.
- Have access to top professionals in the sport industry through classroom guest speakers and internships.
- Choose a double major in sport management and accounting or sport management and marketing.
- Take challenging courses such as Ethics and Law in Sport Management, Economics and Governance in Sport, and Sport Facility & Event Management.
- Join the on campus Sport Management Society.
- Study abroad for a semester.
Career options for sport management majors
As a graduate of the sport management program, students are equipped to secure jobs such as:
- Director of ticket sales
- Sponsorship coordinator
- Front office manager
- Facility or event manager
- Sports ministry coordinator
- Athletic director
For more information on career planning for the sport management program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship and research opportunities for sport management majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of sport management internships. A few examples include:
- Recreational sports organizations
- Minor league teams
- Major league teams
- Sports ministry organizations
Mission & Goals
The interest in sport activities is at an all time high in the United States and growing. The economic impact of the sport industry on the total economy is staggering. If you consider moneys spent for equipment, travel, tickets, injuries, admissions, insurance, supplies, memberships, etc. the sum is enormous.Bridges and Roquemore, 1996
Based on that assumption, the goal of the Sport Management program is to provide quality preparation for administration positions within the sports industry. This focus necessitates sport education professionals teaching sport management students by integrating theory and practice, thus allowing the students to serve a diverse population in a global society. Achieving this goal requires an integration of sport management theory and practice and the interaction of academic sport professionals, practicing sport administrators and goal-oriented students. Instruction centers on how sport management can have a focus in relation to athletics and sport program operation. In turn the program will help achieve the following goals:
- To have constituent satisfaction as the highest priority.
- To ensure continuous improvement and academic excellence.
- Students will demonstrate a strong knowledge base in athletic management, facilities planning, marketing, financing and law in the sport environment.
- Student will be proficient in technological applications of sport management.
Our committed Christian faculty will help you not just understand but also use the technical, interpersonal, moral and conceptual skills and concepts necessary to be an effective manager in a wide variety of sports-related environments.
Practical sport management experience
As a sport management major, you’ll supplement courses with a variety of practical experiences through field trips and by working in sport management settings through completion of practica and internships. Messiah’s sport management degree program effectively prepares you to gain both the knowledge and practical experiences necessary for your future success in a variety of sport management jobs.
Graduates of the sport management major move on to challenging and exciting careers in academic settings, professional sports, sports and recreational facilities, as well as health, fitness and sport clubs.