Sport Management at Messiah College
Prepare for a career in a growing field that combines your love of sports and interest in business.
In our sport management major, you’ll build a strong foundation in a number of key areas such as: management, finance, accounting, marketing, communications, ethics, and legal aspects of business – knowledge that will give you a real competitive advantage in a sport management career.
Our committed Christian faculty will help you not just understand but also use the technical, interpersonal, moral, and conceptual skills and concepts necessary to be an effective manager in a wide variety of sports-related environments.
So if you’re interested in an exciting career in a growing field, you may want to consider a sport management major at Messiah College.
Our interdisciplinary curriculum, which combines business, accounting, and sports management, prepares you with the classroom and practical experiences you’ll need to be successful in an academic setting, professional sport management or marketing, and at health, fitness, and sports and recreational facilities and clubs.
Sport management major distinctives
As a Sport Management major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Study abroad for a semester.
- Earn up to 16 credits in practical experience.
- Have access to top professionals in the sport industry through classroom guest speakers and internships.
- Choose a double major in sport management and accounting or sport management and marketing.
- Take challenging courses such as Ethics and Law in Sport Management, Economics and Governance in Sport, and Sport Facility & Event Management.
- Join the on campus Sport Management Society.
Career options for sport management majors
As a graduate of the sport management program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Director of ticket sales
- Sponsorship coordinator
- Front office manager
- Facility or event manager
- Sports ministry coordinator
- Athletic director
Internship and research opportunities for sport management majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of sport management internships. A few examples include:
- Recreational sports organizations
- Minor league teams
- Major league teams
- Sports ministry organizations
Learn more about the Department of Health and Human Performance
The Department of Health and Human Performance is housed in the School of Science, Engineering and Health. Learn more about the Department of Health and Human Performance by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- Clubs and student organizations include the Athletic Training Students Association, Sports Management Society, and Pre-Physical Therapy Club.
- Opportunity to work on a human cadaver (pre-physical therapy and pre-professional students)
- Professors' area of research include: youth sports and ethical issues; health education, race/ethnicity; sponsorship and marketing; and strength and conditioning.
- 98 percent acceptance rate into physical therapy, allied health, and other related graduate programs
- Excellent on-campus facilities such as Messiah's extensive applied human physiology lab, athletic training facilities, weight room, natatorium, indoor jogging track, and the Falcon Fitness Center.