Applied Health Science at Messiah College
Prepare for a career in one of the fastest growing and changing U.S. Industries—health and wellness.
In Messiah College’s applied health science (B.S.) degree program, you’ll gain firsthand experience in the field of applied health science with particular attention on learning how your Christian faith and career aspirations can strengthen each other. Through internships, research and clinical courses, you’ll receive valuable hands-on experience in applying concepts presented to you in applied health science classes by caring faculty who are respected scholars.
Messiah’s unique multi-dimensional approach to health and wellness offers coursework in anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics, chronic disease, health promotion, exercise psychology, sport sociology and nutrition, preparing you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to promote wellness among diverse population groups while aiding them in being good stewards of one of God's greatest creations—the human body.
Applied Health Science Distinctives
As an applied health science major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Prepare to go on to medical school, physical therapy school or complete other advanced degrees in the allied health fields.
- Choose from pre-professional, pre-physical therapy, or exercise science concentration
- Develop an understanding of the anatomical and physiological responses to acute and chronic exercise and critically analyze human movement patterns.
- Work on a human cadaver as a pre-physical therapy or pre-professional student.
- Conduct research with faculty members
- Work with the campus wellness program
- Design personal fitness programs for individuals
- Pursue graduate studies in specialized fields such as cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, fitness program leadership or exercise physiology.
- Participate in conferences at the regional and national level.
- Participate in college honors and departmental honors programs.
Mission & Goals
- The student will discover significant presuppositions common to both the Christian faith and the field of health and exercise science, with particular attention given to ways in which the Christian world view can enlighten the discipline.
- The student will apply their disciplinary knowledge and Christian values in meaningful and practical on or off-campus experiences. Through these experiences, students will demonstrate a commitment to use their knowledge in ways that benefit and serve others.
- The student will be able to write in a clear, scholarly fashion.
- The student will develop an understanding of the anatomical and physiological responses to acute and chronic exercise and critically analyze human movement patterns.
- The student will be equipped with the necessary background knowledge to pursue graduate study in specialized fields such as cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, fitness program leadership, or exercise physiology.
- The student will attain the skills and abilities necessary for entering a variety of health and exercise science careers.
- The student will be able to prescribe individual movement activities designed to achieve satisfactory fitness levels and improve athletic performance.
- The student will be able to conduct research in accordance with the principles of sound qualitative and quantitative research interpretation and procedure.
Internship & Research Opportunities
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program helps place students in a variety of applied health science internships. A few examples include:
- Pro and local sports teams
- Physical therapy clinics
- Cardiac rehab programs
- Health clubs
- Personal training facilities
- Corporate wellness programs
As a graduate of the applied health science program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Exercise scientist
- Personal trainer
- Fitness or wellness director
- With additional schooling: Physical therapist, Occupational therapist, Chiropractors, exercise physiologists, doctors and public health advocates
For more information on career planning for the Applied Health Science program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.