Criminal Justice at Messiah College
Restorative justice is at the heart of the criminal justice degree program at Messiah College, a top-ranked Christian college in Pennsylvania.
The bachelor of arts degree in criminal justice at Messiah College will equip you to be an agent of social change and will encourage you to actively work toward what one sociologist calls “the good society.” Throughout the criminal justice degree program, you’ll study the causes and responses to crime and the many criminology theories associated with it.
Criminal justice major distinctives
- Gain professional experience through internships with social services agencies and government entities such as police departments, PA state legislature, the U.S. Marshals, adult and juvenile probation, work release facilities, anti human trafficking organizations, the coronerâs office, and a secure facility for youth offenders.
- Join the Criminal Justice Club.
- Combine your major with a minor in sociology and anthropology, urban studies, gender studies, peace and conflict studies, or a number of other minors.
- Delve into courses ranging from Human Trafficking, to Terrorism, to World Justice Systems and Evidence, and Search and Seizure.
- Prepare for a career in judicial services, law enforcement, private security, adult and juvenile probation, adult and juvenile correctional institutions, adult and juvenile parole supervision, victim assistance programs, and community-based correctional and rehabilitation agencies.
- Participate in field experiences in various social service agencies and government entities.
Career options for criminal justice majors
As a graduate of the criminal justice program, students with a Bachelor's Degree are equipped to secure positions in areas such as:
Adult Corrections and Probation
Juvenile Corrections and Probation
Federal, State, City, and County Law Enforcement
Criminal Justice majors are also well-prepared to pursue advanced degrees for careers in areas such as:
For more information on career planning for the criminal justice program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for criminal justice majors
Messiahâs nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of criminal justice internships. A few examples include:
Adult and juvenile probation
Secure facility for youth offenders
Work release facilities
PA State Legislature
Anti-Human Trafficking organizations
State, City, and Local Police Departments
In the criminal justice program, which combines liberal arts study and professional major, you will also study issues related to crime and justice from the restorative justice perspective and will grow in how you think about responsible citizenship. Steeped in biblical principles, restorative justice seeks healing, wholeness and reconciliation for all parties touched by crime.
As a criminal justice major, you spend much of your time applying your classroom learning to real-world applications—through study abroad opportunities, research or service projects and internship experiences. All criminal justice majors are required to complete at least one of the above before graduating.
Christian faith is also integrated into the criminal justice degree program in all possible ways, including classroom curriculum, service, guest speakers, faculty research, and most importantly, a student’s daily experience with professors and classmates.
As you work toward you’re Bachelor of Arts degree in criminal justice, you’ll be prepared to work in a variety of criminal justice related fields.