Early Arrival Information - Fall Semester
In recent years, the number of students who come back early to school in the fall has reached about 800–900. While we understand students need to return for a variety of reasons (e.g., athletic teams, RAs, Welcome Week, etc.), because of the large number of students and all that needs to occur to prepare for their arrival (cleaning rooms, notifying a variety of offices, getting set up for key distribution and ID cards, etc.) it has become necessary for us to clarify our guidelines regarding early arrivals. Therefore, the following guidelines help with the process. Specific guidelines for both individuals and campus departments are listed below, along with the appropriate forms to apply for early arrival consideration.
Faculty & Staff
Information for Faculty & Staff who are sponsoring a student as an early arrival:
- Supervisors and advisors will be asked to bring students back at the latest possible date to allow maximum time for staff to prepare for their arrival.
- To sponsor students for an early arrival please email names, date of arrival and reason for early arrival to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit early arrivals by Friday, July 31, 2015. Any additions to the list after July 31 are charged a late fee. From August 1-14, the late fee will be $10/day. From August 15-29, the late fee will be $25/day. Faculty/Staff can pass this charge on to the students or can pay for it out of departmental budgets.
- Sponsors are responsible to let their students know the established check-in times. The Department of Safety will not distribute keys or open doors for students who do not check-in during the scheduled check-in hours.
Information for students who need to arrive early and are NOT sponsored by a faculty or staff member:
- New/Transfer students who are not sponsored are scheduled to move in on Thursday, August 27, 2015.
- Returning students who are not sponsored are scheduled to move-in starting Sunday, August 30, 2015.
Non-Sponsored Students who will generally be approved for an arrival earlier than the above dates:
- Siblings of Students Sponsored for Early Arrival – Students whose siblings are approved to be on campus early may request an early arrival for the same day as their sibling. The charge for these students will be $25/night.
- Long-Distance Drive – Students coming from a distance that requires significant travel may report a day earlier to allow sufficient time to make the trip to and from the College. A general guideline is anything over a five-hour, one-way trip (over 300 miles). There will be no charge for students arriving 1 day ahead of time. However, the charge for these students will be $75/night for each day more than 1 day ahead of their regularly scheduled check-in day.
- Student Teaching – Students who are required to return for student teaching in the local school districts as part of their class requirement. A professor's approval is needed for these students to return early without charge.
- All other approved requests: these will be extremely limited and the charge will be $75/day.
*Student accounts are billed automatically
Students will NOT be approved for an early arrival for the following reasons:
- Leaving an apartment – Students who are renting or subleasing off-campus apartments in the summer need to be aware of when their lease agreement ends. Students will not be allowed to move onto campus until the appropriate move-in date, regardless of renting status off campus. It is the responsibility of the student to make plans concerning living arrangements and belongings until the appropriate move-in date.
- Local, Non-Campus Responsibilities – Students will not be allowed to return to campus early to pursue off-campus jobs or volunteer duties (rescue squad, fire department, etc) that would bring them back early. It is the student’s responsibility to make plans concerning living arrangements prior to the move-in date.
- Personal Belongings – Students may not move in personal belongings prior to moving in themselves.
- Roommates on Campus Early – Students whose roommates are approved to be on campus early may not move in with the roommate, then check in on move-in day. If it has been determined that an unauthorized student is living in a residence hall prior to the move-in date, the student will be charged the $100/ night fee.
General Early Arrival Information
- Students who need to make an early arrival request must complete the Early Arrival Form. The dealine for making a request is Friday, July 31, 2015. Requests
received after this deadline and are approved will be charged a $10/day
fee for each day that the student is on campus early.
- Follow this link to fill out your request: EARLY ARRIVAL FORM
- Students arriving without approval - Students should not arrive on campus without approval. The Department of Safety will not distribute keys or open doors for students who arrive on campus without approval or fail to check in during the scheduled check-in hours. Students who arrive on campus and are not on the approved list will be charged $100 per night/person. The $100 per night/person fee will be charged retroactively if students are found living on campus without permission.
- Check-In Times -
Specific check-in times are listed below. If a student cannot arrive
during one of the established times he/she may contact the Office of
Residence Life & Housing (email@example.com or 717.796.5239717.796.5239) at
least 24 business hours ahead of his/her arrival and a key will be left
at Dispatch for the student. If a student arrives outside of these
established times without making prior arrangements he/she will need to
wait until the scheduled check-in times and/or find a hotel/motel for
- Monday - Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 22 and 29 - 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 23 - 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Students who arrive on campus and are not sponsored will have to provide their own meals until the official start of their meal plan. Students can use cash at any of our open food operations during this time.
Meal Plan start dates are:
- Lunch - Thursday, August 27 (for first-year & transfer students)
- Lunch - Sunday, August 30 (for returning students)